Skip to main content

Your Story Is A Weapon


 Your Story Is A Weapon

Revelation 12:11 — “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.”

Let me tell you about a woman I met in Akasia. I will call her Mama Dikeledi. She is seventy-three years old. She walks with a slight limp from a stroke that stole the left side of her body for eight months. When I met her at a small gathering in a rented hall off the K16, she was quiet. When I asked her about her healing, she looked at the floor. “I don’t like to speak of it,” she said. “It feels like boasting.”

I understood her. I have felt that same pressure. In our culture, in our churches, in our homes, we have been taught that silence is humility. We have been taught that to tell your testimony too loudly is to draw attention to yourself. But I want to say something to you, and I want you to hear it not as a suggestion but as a law of the Spirit: Silence about your victory is not humility. It is disarmament.

Mama Dikeledi’s silence did not protect her from pride. It left her vulnerable to fear. Three months after I met her, she began to experience tremors. The doctors could not explain it. But I knew what was happening. She had a weapon in her hand—the word of her testimony—and she had left it sheathed. The enemy saw an unarmed woman and advanced.

The Anatomy of a Sheathed Weapon

Let us define our terms clearly. A testimony is not a memoir. It is not a nostalgic recollection of a past event. A testimony, in the economy of God, is a prophetic declaration. It is the spoken evidence of what God has done, released into the present tense to fight what God is about to do. Revelation 12:11 does not say they will overcome. It says they overcame. The verb is past tense, but the power is present. Your testimony is not a museum piece. It is ammunition.

Picture, if you will, a soldier in the South African National Defence Force. He has been trained. He has been armed. He has been sent into battle. But when the enemy advances, he stands with his rifle strapped to his back, his hands in his pockets. He says, “I do not want to appear aggressive.” He says, “I will let my training speak for itself.” He says, “It would be prideful to fire my weapon.” That soldier is not humble. He is a casualty. And he is a danger to every soldier standing beside him.

This is what we do when we swallow our testimonies. We are not protecting ourselves from pride. We are stripping ourselves of power. We are stripping the body of Christ of evidence.

I have seen this in our modern South African context. We live in a nation that is drowning in bad news. Turn on the radio. Scroll through your timeline. Murder. Load shedding. Unemployment sitting at over thirty-two percent, with nearly half of our young people—forty-seven point four percent of those aged fifteen to thirty-four unable to find work. We are told that we are a failing state. We are told that our stories end in ashes. And into this cacophony of despair, the child of God whispers her testimony into a pillow. She tells no one. She speaks of her healing to no one. She speaks of her deliverance to no one. She speaks of her restoration to no one. And the enemy, who understands the power of words better than most Christians do, laughs.

The Argument for Public Ammunition

Let me construct the case logically. If a testimony is the spoken word of what God has done, and if the Scripture declares that this spoken word is the mechanism by which we overcome the enemy, then the suppression of testimony is not a neutral act. It is a tactical surrender.

Premise one: The word of your testimony is a weapon of spiritual warfare (Revelation 12:11).

Premise two: The enemy advances where the weapon is not wielded.

Conclusion: Therefore, the silence of the believer is not humility; it is a strategic withdrawal from the battlefield.

A common objection arises at this point. “But I do not want to make it about me. I want to make it about God.” This objection fails because it misapplies the nature of testimony. When you speak of what God has done in your life, you are not making it about you. You are making it about Him. You are providing evidence. You are presenting an exhibit in the courtroom of human hearts. The psalmist did not say, “Let me forget what the Lord has done.” He said, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits” (Psalm 103:2). And then he told them. He told them to his own soul. He told them to the congregation. He told them to the nations.

But perhaps you say, “My story is not dramatic. I was not delivered from addiction. I was not healed of cancer. I was not rescued from a violent crime. I was simply raised in a Christian home and God kept me.” Let me tell you something, child of God. A testimony of keeping is still a testimony of conquering. You overcame the world, the flesh, and the devil by the blood of the Lamb. The fact that your battle was quieter does not make your victory less real. The fact that your story does not make a good movie does not make it less powerful. Every testimony swallowed is a weapon left sheathed. Every testimony spoken is a blow struck against the kingdom of darkness.

A Quiet Revival in a Loud Nation

Something is stirring in South Africa. In student residences in Pretoria, in lounges in Cape Town, in WhatsApp groups and on campuses, young people are praying. Researchers and pastors are noticing it. They are calling it a “Quiet Revival”a return to authentic encounter rather than inherited routine. Young South Africans, Gen Z and Gen Alpha, are not rejecting God. They are rejecting performance. They are hungry for the real Jesus.

But this revival will not be sustained by atmosphere alone. It will be sustained by testimony. The young woman who was delivered from depression must tell her story. The young man who was freed from pornography must tell his story. The student who was the first in her family to graduate must tell her story. The revival is quiet because the testimonies are quiet. But quiet is not the same as silent. Quiet is the sound of a weapon being drawn, not fired. The time for drawing is now.

I think of the thousands of young South Africans who are not in employment, education, or training over thirty-six percent of those aged fifteen to twenty-four. They are told that their futures are dead. They are told that their stories end in the queue for social grants. But into that graveyard of hope, the child of God must speak a different word. She must say, “I was there. I was in that queue. And God opened a door. And God provided a skill. And God gave me a business.” This is not prosperity preaching. This is testimony. This is evidence. This is warfare.

Tell It in Prayer, Tell It in the Streets

The apostle Paul did not keep quiet about his conversion. He did not say, “I will let my transformed life speak for itself.” He told his story again and again. He told it before governors. He told it before kings. He told it before angry mobs and skeptical philosophers. He understood that the spoken word carries power that the lived life alone cannot.

So let me give you a law. Write it down. Say it aloud. What you do daily determines what you become permanently. And what you say daily determines what you wield permanently. If you speak defeat, you wield despair. If you speak doubt, you wield fear. But if you speak testimony, you wield the overcoming power of the Lamb.

We must sound the alarm against the spirit of false humility that has gagged the church for generations. We must confront the cultural compromise that says, “Keep your faith private.” We must dismantle the lie that says your story is only powerful if it is dramatic. The Scripture declares unequivocally that the blood of the Lamb and the word of your testimony are the twin weapons of your overcoming. The blood is applied. The testimony must be spoken.

A Prayer for a Loosened Tongue

Father, I confess that I have swallowed my testimony. I have sheathed my weapon. I have let false humility rob me of my voice. Loosen my tongue. Let my story fight the battle standing before me. I will not be silent. I will not be neutral. I will not be disarmed. Let me speak of Your goodness in the land of the living. Let me tell it in prayer. Let me tell it to a friend. Let me tell it until fear remembers who defeated it the first time. In the name of Jesus Christ, the Lamb who was slain, Amen.

Mama Dikeledi heard this message. She stood up in that small hall in Akasia. Her voice was weak at first, but she began to speak. She spoke of the stroke. She spoke of the months of therapy. She spoke of the tremor that came back and the prayer that broke it. And as she spoke, something shifted in the room. The fear that had settled over that gathering lifted. The atmosphere changed. She was not boasting. She was fighting. She had drawn her weapon.

Child of God, your past deliverance is not a private memory. It is public ammunition. The enemy is advancing. But you are not unarmed. You have a story. And your story is a weapon. Draw it. Speak it. Win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

Faithful in the Forgotten

  The Unseen Altar: Where God Forges Spiritual Depth in an Age of Instant Glory The Night the Lights Went Out The familiar, dreaded silence fell first. The hum of the refrigerator ceased mid-cycle. The bright screen of my phone, filled with the curated highlights of a dozen ministries, went black. Load-shedding had come to Akasia again. In the sudden, thick darkness, I fumbled for a candle. As the small flame took hold, it didn't just illuminate the room; it illuminated a truth. We spend so much energy trying to stay visible in the grid, terrified of the dark, when God so often uses the dark to show us the only light that truly matters. This is the tension we modern South Africans, and indeed all modern believers, must navigate. We live in a world that screams, "Your value is your visibility!" Social media metrics, church attendance numbers, and public influence are the new currencies of success. Yet, into this noise, the quiet, unwavering voice of Scripture speaks a coun...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...