Skip to main content

A Mind Made Up

 


A Mind Made Up

The Decisive Heart That Draws Heaven's Hand

My name is Harold Mawela. I am writing to you from my study in Akasia, just north of Pretoria, where the Jacarandas are beginning to shed their purple blossom like a prayer scattered across the pavement. The air is cool this September morning, and as I sit with my Bible open to James chapter one, I find myself wrestling with a question that has haunted me for weeks—a question that I believe is haunting this nation.

What are you postponing under the pretence of patience?

PART ONE: The Diagnosis of a Divided Heart

Let us define our terms with surgical precision. The Scripture declares unequivocally: "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways" (James 1:8, KJV). The Greek word is dipsuchos—literally, "two-souled." It describes a person with two souls pulling in opposite directions, a man whose inner compass has two norths, a woman whose spiritual engine has two gears engaged simultaneously.

Imagine, if you will, a taxi driver approaching a fork in the road. His left hand turns the wheel left; his right hand turns it right. The vehicle does not move forward it tears itself apart. That is the double-minded man. He is not merely uncertain; he is unstable in all his ways. Not some of his ways. Not most of his ways. All his ways.

Now, consider the condition of our beloved South Africa. We are a nation of double-minded people. We speak of transformation but cling to the old structures. We demand accountability but protect our own. We sing "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika" with passion on the one hand, and on the other, we participate in the very corruption that curses our land.

Just this week, the crime statistics were released murder decreased by 5.9%, from 5,770 to 5,427 cases. Let us pause and let that number land. Five thousand four hundred and twenty-seven murders in ninety days. Each number is a name. Each statistic is a story cut short. Each murder is a family shattered, a future stolen, a community traumatised. The Acting National Police Commissioner said it herself: "5,427 murders in 90 days remain 5,427 too many".

And yet, even as we mourn these losses, we have become comfortable with the darkness. We have learned to live with the flicker. We have normalised the abnormal. We have postponed the hard decisions under the pretence of patience.

Delay is decided; it decides for defeat.

PART TWO: The Investigation—Why We Stay Stuck

I remember a young man who came to me last year. His name was Thabo—not his real name, but you know him. He is every young South African. He had a dream: to start a small business, a township catering company. He had the skills. He had a business plan. He had the support of his family. But he could not decide.

"What if I fail?" he asked me.
"What if you succeed?" I replied.
"But what if people laugh at me?"
"What if they celebrate you?"

He went back and forth for months—two souls fighting for control of one life. He analysed, he calculated, he prayed, he waited, he postponed, he procrastinated. Meanwhile, the young man down the street—with less skill, less planning, less support—opened a similar business. Today, that young man employs five people. Thabo? Thabo is still waiting.

You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue.

Now, consider the broader picture. Statistics South Africa tells us that youth unemployment has risen to 47.4%. Of the 21 million young people aged 15-34 in this country, only 5.6 million are employed. Four in ten young people are not in employment, education, or training. That is 3.9 million young people 3.9 million souls—disengaged from the labour market and the education system.

These are not just statistics. These are our children. These are the future leaders of our churches, our communities, our nation. And many of them are paralysed not by lack of opportunity, but by lack of decision. Not by closed doors, but by divided hearts.

The Scripture says: "Let not that man think he shall receive anything of the Lord" (James 1:7, KJV). Why? Because heaven confirms only what your spirit has settled. God does not reward confusion; He rewards clarity. He does not bless hesitation; He blesses holy determination.

PART THREE: The Transformative Insight—The Decided Heart

Here is the truth that has gripped my soul, that has shaken me awake in the early hours of the morning, that has driven me to my knees in this study in Akasia:

There is power in a purposed, prayed-through, made-up mind.

I learned this lesson the hard way. Some years ago, I felt a clear call from God to begin writing not just for myself, but for the nation. I felt it in my spirit like a fire shut up in my bones. But I hesitated. I told myself I was waiting for the right time. I told myself I needed more training, more preparation, more confirmation. In truth, I was afraid. Afraid of failure. Afraid of criticism. Afraid of what people would say.

And then one morning, as I was reading the story of the Israelites at the Red Sea, the Lord spoke to my heart with words that burned: "Speak to the children of Israel, that they go forward" (Exodus 14:15). Not "wait." Not "pray about it some more." Not "form a committee." Go forward.

The Red Sea did not part while the Israelites stood still. It parted when they stepped. The miracle was not in the waiting; the miracle was in the walking. The waters did not open for hesitation; they opened for holy determination.

Attack is the proof that your enemy anticipates your success.

I am convinced that the enemy—that ancient serpent, that accuser of the brethren—does not fear your potential. He fears your decision. He does not tremble at your dreams; he trembles at your determination. He is not threatened by your planning; he is threatened by your pursuit.

Why? Because a decided heart draws divine provision. When your decision is firm, favour begins to flow toward it. When your spirit is settled, heaven is released. When you write it, walk it, and watch it God honours it.

PART FOUR: The Practical Embodiment—How to Settle Your Spirit

What, then, shall we do? How do we move from double-mindedness to holy determination? Let me offer you three practical steps, drawn from Scripture and from the school of hard knocks:

1. Write It

The prophet Habakkuk was instructed: "Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it" (Habakkuk 2:2). There is something about putting pen to paper that settles the spirit. It moves the vision from the abstract to the concrete, from the imagination to the intention.

I challenge you today: take out a piece of paper. Write down that decision you have been postponing. Write down that step you have been avoiding. Write down that business you have been dreaming of, that ministry you have been sensing, that conversation you have been dreading. Write it. Make it plain. And then—

2. Walk It

The Scripture says: "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:20). Decision without action is delusion. You cannot pray your way out of a problem you walked your way into, and you cannot walk your way into a blessing you refuse to step toward.

In South Africa today, we are seeing signs of progress. Eskom has now recorded 476 consecutive days without load shedding. The Energy Availability Factor has risen to 67.79% its highest level since 2020. Diesel expenditure has fallen by R4.84 billion. These are not accidents. These are the results of decisions hard decisions, sustained decisions, determined decisions.

If Eskom can turn around its generation fleet through sustained structural interventions, surely you can turn around your life through sustained spiritual determination. If a power utility can restore 6,888MW of generation capacity, surely you can restore the power in your own spirit.

3. Watch It

"Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established" (Proverbs 16:3). When you have written it and walked it, you must watch it not with anxious worry, but with expectant faith. Watch for the open doors. Watch for the divine connections. Watch for the favour that begins to flow toward your decision.

I saw this happen in my own life. When I finally settled it in my spirit that I would write, when I finally committed to the discipline of daily writing, doors began to open. Opportunities began to appear. People began to connect. And I realised: heaven was not waiting for my perfection; heaven was waiting for my decision.


PART FIVE: The Closing Call—A Nation of Decided Hearts

As I look out my window in Akasia, I see a nation at a crossroads. We are approaching local government elections. We are engaging in a National Dialogue to address our most pressing issues. We are grappling with economic transformation, service delivery, crime, and corruption.

But I tell you today: no political solution will save a spiritually divided nation.

The problem is not in the ballot box; the problem is in the heart. The problem is not in the government; the problem is in the gospel. The problem is not in the system; the problem is in the soul.

Clarity, not confusion, is the currency of the confirmed.

This is not a call to recklessness. It is a call to resolve. It is not a call to impatience. It is a call to holy determination. It is not a call to blind faith. It is a call to decided faith faith that has counted the cost, considered the alternatives, and chosen to follow Christ with everything it has.

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Luke 9:23). Jesus did not say "consider me." He did not say "analyse me." He did not say "debate me." He said "follow me" a call to decision, a summons to action, a command to commitment.

Today, I am asking you: what have you postponed under the pretence of patience? Some doors don't need more waiting; they need one determined, decided step. Some prayers don't need more pleading; they need more pursuing. Some dreams don't need more planning; they need more planting.

What you do daily determines what you become permanently.

I close with this: God loves you because of who you are, but He blesses you because of what you do. He has already given you the promise; now He is waiting for your pursuit. He has already opened the door; now He is waiting for your step. He has already prepared the blessing; now He is waiting for your decision.

Settle it in your spirit today.

Write it. Walk it. Watch heaven honour it.

Prayer

Father, remove the fog of double-mindedness. Break the paralysis of hesitation. Destroy the spirit of indecision that has held Your children captive. Give me a decided heart a heart that is settled, a spirit that is surrendered, a will that is wholly Yours. I repent of my procrastination. I repent of my pretence of patience. I repent of my spiritual paralysis. Today, I choose. Today, I decide. Today, I step. And I trust that as I step, You will part the waters before me. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and my God. Amen.

A Mind Made Up is not a suggestion; it is a summons. It is not an option; it is an obligation. It is not a preference; it is a prerequisite for the miraculous.

Delay is decided; it decides for defeat.
A divided heart cannot host a decisive miracle.
A decided heart draws divine provision.

Go forward, child of God. The Red Sea is waiting to part.

Harold Mawela
Akasia, Pretoria
September 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

Faithful in the Forgotten

  The Unseen Altar: Where God Forges Spiritual Depth in an Age of Instant Glory The Night the Lights Went Out The familiar, dreaded silence fell first. The hum of the refrigerator ceased mid-cycle. The bright screen of my phone, filled with the curated highlights of a dozen ministries, went black. Load-shedding had come to Akasia again. In the sudden, thick darkness, I fumbled for a candle. As the small flame took hold, it didn't just illuminate the room; it illuminated a truth. We spend so much energy trying to stay visible in the grid, terrified of the dark, when God so often uses the dark to show us the only light that truly matters. This is the tension we modern South Africans, and indeed all modern believers, must navigate. We live in a world that screams, "Your value is your visibility!" Social media metrics, church attendance numbers, and public influence are the new currencies of success. Yet, into this noise, the quiet, unwavering voice of Scripture speaks a coun...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...