BROKEN WORDS, BRIDGE BUILDERS
A Devotional on the Costly Craft of True Apology
"But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, 'Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.'" — Luke 19:8
Part One: The Diagnosis — When Words Become Weapons
Let me take you to a taxi rank in Tshwane, just off Bloed Street, where the morning air is thick with diesel fumes and desperation. I stood there watching a driver and a passenger exchange words that cut deeper than any knife. The passenger had been short-changed a mere ten rand—but the driver's response was the real theft: "I'm sorry you feel that way."
Those six words buried the relationship faster than a Johannesburg pothole swallows a tyre.
Is it not true that we all feel the sting of such hollow apologies? The husband who says to his weeping wife, "I'm sorry you're upset," never naming the betrayal of his wandering eyes. The politician who apologises "to anyone who was offended" while clutching his stolen millions tighter than a Zulu warrior grips his assegai. The church leader who murmurs "forgive me if I've done anything wrong" as though sin were an accident rather than an act of rebellion against the living God.
Define your terms clearly: An apology that does not name the wound it caused is not an apology at all it is an abdication. It is the verbal equivalent of throwing a blanket over a rotting corpse and calling it a funeral. True apology is the courageous act of naming your specific offence, feeling the full weight of its consequences, and committing to costly repair. Anything less is merely polished self-preservation.
The Scripture declares unequivocally that Zacchaeus did not offer the chief tax collector's equivalent of "my bad." No, this transformed son of Abraham stood up notice the posture of courage and declared specific restitution. He named his sin: cheating. He named the remedy: fourfold repayment. He did not wait for an investigation; he initiated the investigation of his own heart.
Let us sound the alarm against the epidemic of cheap grace that has infected our pulpits and poisoned our relationships. We have reduced confession to a mumbled ritual and repentance to a fleeting emotion. We have forgotten that the God who inhabits eternity dwells with the contrite and lowly in spirit and contrition always has a cost (Isaiah 57:15).
Part Two: The Investigation — Why We Hide Our Cracks
Consider, if you will, the psychology of the cracked pot.
Every home in Mamelodi has one—that chipped ceramic pot Granny refuses to throw away because "it still holds water." We hide it at the back of the cupboard, turn its broken side toward the wall, and pretend its usefulness is unchanged. But the crack always betrays us. Water seeps through, leaving a stain on the counter, a puddle on the floor, a slow erosion of everything we try to contain.
Is this not the story of our souls?
We hide our cracks behind carefully curated social media profiles. We camouflage our failures behind Sunday morning smiles. We construct elaborate defences against the accusation that we might actually be wrong. The argument can be formulated thus:
Premise One: Every human relationship will experience fracture.
Premise Two: Fracture creates pain that demands address.
Premise Three: The human heart naturally resists the vulnerability required for true address.
Conclusion: Therefore, without supernatural intervention, relationships will remain perpetually broken.
A common objection arises: "But surely time heals all wounds?" However, this fails because time does not heal it only anaesthetises. The wound continues to fester beneath the surface, poisoning the relationship like untreated gangrene. I have watched families in Atteridgeville carry grudges across generations because no one had the courage to say, "I was wrong when I..."
The evidence strongly supports the biblical pattern: true healing requires true naming. When David finally confessed, "I have sinned against the LORD," he did not blame Bathsheba, nor Uriah, nor the pressures of kingship. He named his sin specifically, and only then could Nathan declare, "The LORD has taken away your sin" (2 Samuel 12:13).
The Mawela Principle: A crack is not repaired by hiding it but by carefully rejoining the pieces. What you conceal, you preserve in decay; what you confess, you consign to healing.
Part Three: The Transformative Insight The Algebra of Restoration
Now we arrive at the heart of the matter—the mathematics of mercy that confounds the world's logic.
Zacchaeus promised fourfold restitution. This was not arbitrary; it was the Mosaic requirement for restitution when a thief was caught (Exodus 22:1). But here is the staggering revelation: Zacchaeus was not caught. He was not convicted by any human court. He stood in the presence of Jesus and voluntarily imposed upon himself the maximum penalty the law required.
This is the algebra of grace: When you truly encounter Christ, you begin to overpay your debts.
Let me explain with a South African illustration. I think of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that great experiment in national healing. Some came forward and confessed fully, naming their crimes, identifying their victims, offering their remorse without condition. Others offered the infamous "amnesty for full disclosure" while disclosing nothing. Which group found peace? Which group remains haunted by the ghosts of the past?
The empirical evidence is clear: confession that costs nothing heals nothing. It is the cheap grace that Dietrich Bonhoeffer warned against grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ.
Therefore, reason itself, illuminated by Scripture and confirmed in our deepest longings, compels us to acknowledge that true apology must cost you something honest. Consider the three dimensions of this costly honesty:
First: Name the Wound Specifically
"I was wrong when I spoke that gossip about you at the church meeting."
"I was wrong when I neglected your emotional needs during your mother's illness."
"I was wrong when I took credit for your idea in the boardroom."
Specificity is the death of self-justification. Generalities are the playground of the proud.
Second: Ask Without Demanding
"Will you forgive me?" is a question that honours the other's autonomy. "You need to forgive me" is a demand that compounds the offence. True apology creates space for the wounded party to respond freely, without coercion or manipulation.
Third: Make It Right Where Possible
Zacchaeus did not merely feel remorse he restored. The evidence of repentance is always restitution. If you have stolen, return. If you have slandered, retract. If you have broken trust, rebuild it brick by brick, even if it takes a lifetime.
The Mawela Principle: You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue, and you will never repair what you are unwilling to name.
Part Four: Practical Embodiment The Bridge Builder's Blueprint
Let me now give you practical tools for becoming a bridge builder in a world of broken words.
First, cultivate the courage of the cross. The cross is the ultimate demonstration of costly love Jesus Christ, the Son of God, naming our sin and paying our debt in full. When you find yourself shrinking from the vulnerability of true confession, look to the cross. He who was without sin became sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). If He could bear the weight of our offences, surely we can bear the weight of naming our own.
Second, practice the rhythm of daily examination. Before the sun sets over the Magaliesberg, examine your relationships. Is there a word you need to unsay? A silence you need to break? A debt you need to repay? Do not let the sun go down on your anger (Ephesians 4:26), for unresolved offence is the devil's playground.
Third, embrace the discomfort of humility. True apology feels like death because it is death the death of your pride, your reputation, your carefully constructed self-image. But remember the paradox of the gospel: it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. The cracked pot that is carefully rejoined becomes stronger than it was before, for the glue of grace binds the pieces more firmly than the original clay.
Fourth, build a culture of confession in your community. Imagine a church in Soshanguve where members actually confess their sins to one another (James 5:16). Imagine a workplace in Sandton where colleagues apologise specifically and restore practically. Imagine a family in Mamelodi where children learn to say, "I was wrong when I..." because they have seen their parents model the same costly honesty.
This is not weakness this is the strength that comes from submission to the truth. As the proverb says, "He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy" (Proverbs 28:13).
Part Five: The Closing Call Rise and Build
I conclude with a personal testimony.
Years ago, I stood in the living room of a man I had wronged. I had spoken carelessly about his character in a meeting, and the consequences had rippled through our community like stones thrown into the Hennops River. For weeks, I justified my words, minimised my offence, and waited for him to "get over it."
But the Spirit of God would not let me rest.
One evening, as the Johannesburg skyline glittered through my window, I heard the still, small voice: "Name it." I drove to his house with my heart pounding against my ribs like a prisoner demanding release. I knocked. He opened. I stood there, stripped of every defence, and said: "I was wrong when I suggested you were dishonest in that meeting. I had no evidence, and I had no right. I am deeply sorry. What can I do to make this right?"
He wept. I wept. We prayed together, and the bridge that had been burned by my careless words was rebuilt with the costly timber of honest confession.
That night, I learned the Mawela Law of Restoration: A broken word is rebuilt not by forgetting the break but by funding the repair.
Now, child of God, I ask you: Who is waiting for your apology? Which relationship lies in ruins because you refused to name your offence? What fourfold restitution is the Spirit prompting you to make?
The same Jesus who looked at Zacchaeus and said, "I must stay at your house today" (Luke 19:5), looks at you with the same transforming gaze. He does not come to condemn but to convert. He does not expose to shame but to save. He does not break to destroy but to rebuild.
Rise, then, and name your wrong plainly.
Rise, and ask forgiveness without demanding it.
Rise, and make it right where possible.
For this costly honesty is the glue grace uses to rebuild what pride broke. This is the bridge builder's blueprint—the path from broken words to restored relationships, from fractured fellowship to reconciled community, from the isolation of self-justification to the intimacy of mutual confession.
The world is watching, South Africa. They are tired of politicians who apologise without repenting, of preachers who confess without changing, of friends who say "sorry" without restoring. They are desperate for something authentic for Christians who actually live the gospel they proclaim.
Be that Christian.
Build that bridge.
Repair that crack.
For the glory of Jesus Christ, who is the ultimate Bridge Builder, the One who crossed the infinite chasm between holy God and sinful humanity, and who now calls us to follow His example of costly love.
Prayer
Father, give me the courage to name my wrong plainly, the humility to ask forgiveness without demanding it, and the resources to make restitution where possible. Break every proud defence I have constructed, and rebuild in me the character of Christ, who though He was rich, became poor for our sake, that we might become rich in grace. In the name of Jesus, the Bridge Builder, I pray. Amen.
The Mawela Laws of True Apology
1. The Law of Naming: An apology that does not name the wound it caused is not an apology—it is an abdication.
2. The Law of Cost: True apology must cost you something honest. What you gain cheaply, you value lightly; what costs you dearly, you protect fiercely.
3. The Law of Specificity: Generalities are the playground of the proud. Specificity is the death of self-justification.
4. The Law of Restitution: The evidence of repentance is always restitution. If you have broken it, you must rebuild it; if you have stolen it, you must return it; if you have slandered it, you must retract it.
5. The Law of the Cross: The ultimate bridge was built at the ultimate cost. Follow the Bridge Builder, and build your bridges at your own expense.
"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift." — Matthew 5:23-24
Harold Mawela
Akasia, Pretoria
South Africa
Scripture References: Luke 19:1-10; Exodus 22:1; 2 Samuel 12:13; Proverbs 28:13; Isaiah 57:15; Matthew 5:23-24; Ephesians 4:26; James 5:16;

Comments
Post a Comment