Skip to main content

The Core of Adaptability


 THE CORE OF ADAPTABILITY

"I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." 1 Corinthians 9:22

Let me tell you about my neighbour, Mr. Dlamini.

He is a man of unshakable convictions. Every morning at 5 AM, rain or shine, load-shedding or not, he walks to the corner café in Akasia to buy his newspaper. Not the digital version—the physical one, with ink that smudges on his fingers. He has done this for thirty-seven years. When I asked him why he won't simply read the news on his phone like the rest of us, he looked at me with the gravity of a prophet and declared: "A man must hold something real in his hands, Harold. The world is becoming too soft, too flexible. You young people change with every wind."

I smiled and nodded, but I thought: There is a difference between being rooted and being rigid. And Mr. Dlamini has confused the two.

FLEXIBILITY WITHOUT A FOUNDATION IS FOLLY; RIGIDITY WITHOUT RHYTHM IS RUIN.

THE PARADOX OF THE BAOBAB

Imagine, if you will, the mighty baobab tree that ancient sentinel of the African savannah, standing sentinel across our beloved South African landscape from Limpopo to the Kruger. For centuries, it has weathered droughts that cracked the earth like broken pottery. It has survived storms that flattened entire villages. Its trunk is so massive that men have hollowed it out and made churches within its bark. That trunk is unshakable.

Yet watch the baobab during a Highveld thunderstorm. Its branches those thick, muscular arms reaching toward heaven they bend. They sway. They dance with the wind. They do not resist the storm; they move with it. And because they move, they survive. The trees that refuse to bend? They break. Their limbs litter the ground like fallen soldiers.

THE BAOBAB TEACHES US A SACRED PRINCIPLE: YOUR CORE MUST BE RIGID, BUT YOUR METHODS MUST BE FLEXIBLE.

The Apostle Paul understood this law of spiritual physics better than any man. Listen to his words: "I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some" (1 Corinthians 9:22).

Paul did not say, "I have compromised my convictions." He did not say, "I have abandoned my theology." He said, "I have become all things" not anything "to all people." There is a profound distinction here that we must grasp with both hands.

DEFINING OUR TERMS WITH SURGICAL PRECISION

Let us be clear, my beloved reader, because confusion is the devil's playground. Let us define our terms.

THE CORE is your identity in Christ Jesus. It is what you believe about God, about salvation, about sin, about the cross, about the resurrection. It is your non-negotiable convictions the truths you would die for, the doctrines you would burn for, the Christ you would suffer for. The core is the Gospel itself.

THE METHODS are how you communicate, how you minister, how you connect, how you serve. These are your strategies, your approaches, your preferences, your cultural expressions. Methods are how you say what you believe, not what you believe.

Here is the theological law that governs this principle:

YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE GOSPEL, BUT YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR APPROACH TO THE GOSPEL. THE MESSAGE IS ETERNAL; THE DELIVERY MUST BE CONTEXTUAL.

THE TWO-DIMENSIONAL CHRISTIAN

Picture a Christian life as a coin or rather, as two sides of one coin. On one side is your CORE. On the other side is your METHOD. If you try to have a coin with only one side, you have no coin at all.

But here is the tragedy of the modern church in South Africa. We have Christians who are all core and no method. They hold so tightly to their convictions that they strangle their compassion. They are like Mr. Dlamini refusing to adapt, insisting that everyone must receive the Gospel exactly as they did, in the same language, same music, same cultural forms, same everything. And the result? The Gospel remains a foreign artefact in their own community.

On the other hand, we have Christians who are all method and no core. They are so obsessed with relevance that they have abandoned their roots. They change the message to match the culture, not the method to match the culture. They water down sin, soften the cross, and make Jesus into a friendly life-coach rather than the King of Kings. This is not flexibility this is surrender.

FLEXIBILITY IS NOT WEAKNESS; IT IS WISDOM IN ACTION. BUT FLEXIBILITY WITHOUT FOUNDATION IS NOT WISDOM—IT IS WANDERING.

A PERSONAL JOURNEY: MY OWN LESSON IN ADAPTABILITY

Let me tell you a personal story, because this principle was not given to me in a classroom; it was given to me in the crucible of ministry.

I grew up in a church where we sang hymns from a book. I do not mean that as a criticism—I loved those hymns. "How Great Thou Art" still brings tears to my eyes. "Amazing Grace" still makes my soul tremble. But when I began to preach in the townships, in the villages, in the dusty streets of Mamelodi, I noticed something: the young people were not singing. They were standing, but their mouths were closed. Their spirits were silent.

I asked one young man after the service, "My son, why do you not sing?"

He looked at me with tired eyes and said, "Pastor, I love Jesus. But those songs are my grandmother's songs. They are beautiful, but they are not my song. I have a different beat, a different rhythm. I want to worship Jesus in my own way."

Now, I could have rebuked him. I could have quoted the Scripture about singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. I could have told him that his drums and his hip-hop and his gospel house music were worldly. I could have become Mr. Dlamini.

But instead, I asked him—I demanded of him "Teach me your song."

And that young man, whose name I will never forget Tshepo he looked at me like I had grown a second head. But he taught me. He showed me how the youth in our communities express their worship. He played for me the music that moved their hearts, and we listened together. Some of it I did not understand. Some of it made my soul cringe. But I listened.

And then I did something that felt like heresy to my tradition: I allowed him to lead worship. I let him bring his beat, his rhythm, his passion into the service. The older members complained. Some left. But the young people came. They brought their friends. And here is the miracle, my beloved: the same Gospel that I preached the same Jesus, the same cross, the same resurrection it reached them. Because I adapted my method, not my message.

WHAT YOU REFUSE TO ADAPT, YOU RISK FORFEITING. WHAT YOU REFUSE TO LEARN, YOU LOSE.

THE AFRICAN CONTEXT: ADAPTABILITY IN THE LAND OF THE RAINBOW

We live in South Africa a nation of eleven official languages, a nation of tribes and traditions, a nation of urban sophistication and rural simplicity. We are the Rainbow Nation, but too often, we are a nation of segregated worship. The white church and the black church do not sing together. The young and the old do not pray together. The wealthy and the poor do not break bread together.

And why? Because we have confused preference with principle. We have elevated culture to the level of doctrine.

Listen to me carefully, because this is where the prophetic voice must speak with sharpness: WE HAVE MADE OUR CULTURAL PREFERENCES INTO SACRED COWS, AND WE HAVE SLAUGHTERED THE UNITY OF THE BODY OF CHRIST ON THE ALTAR OF OUR COMFORT.

Is it not true that we all feel this? Is it not true that you have seen it? The church that refuses to adapt its music style loses the young. The church that refuses to adapt its language loses the immigrant. The church that refuses to adapt its methods loses the community. And when we lose them, we are not losing preference we are losing souls.

THE LOGICAL ARGUMENT: WHY ADAPTABILITY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE

Let us approach this with the precision of a theologian and the reasoning of an apologist. The argument can be formulated thus:

Premise 1: The Great Commission commands us to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19).

Premise 2: "All nations" includes people of every culture, language, generation, and background.

Premise 3: To reach people, we must communicate in ways they can understand.

Premise 4: Communication is not merely words; it is culture, music, symbol, story, and method.

Conclusion: Therefore, to fulfil the Great Commission, we must adapt our methods to reach every people group, while never altering the message.

A common objection is: "But Harold, doesn't this lead to compromise? Doesn't this open the door to watering down the Gospel?"

I hear you. And I agree with your concern. But here is why your objection fails: METHODS ARE NOT THE MESSAGE. You can sing a hymn or you can sing a gospel rap song the message remains "Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose again." You can preach in a pulpit or you can preach on a street corner the message remains "Repent and believe the Gospel." You can use a hymnal or you can project lyrics on a screen the message remains "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord."

The evidence strongly supports this from Scripture itself. Did not Paul use the altar to the unknown god in Athens to preach Christ? Did he not quote Greek poets? Did he not adapt his message to the listeners—becoming a Jew to Jews, a Gentile to Gentiles, weak to the weak? Paul never changed the Gospel; he changed his delivery of the Gospel.

THE METHOD IS THE VEHICLE; THE MESSAGE IS THE CARGO. CHANGE THE VEHICLE, BUT NEVER UNLOAD THE CARGO.

THE ANTIFRAGILE BELIEVER

This adaptability makes you antifragile. Allow me to explain this concept, because it is crucial for your spiritual survival. Most things are either fragile (they break under stress) or robust (they survive stress). But there is a third category: antifragile. Antifragile things grow stronger under stress, benefit from volatility, thrive in chaos.

The adaptable believer is antifragile.

When the world changes, when culture shifts, when technology advances, when politics reshape the landscape the rigid believer breaks. They become bitter, angry, irrelevant. They retreat into their fortress of tradition and condemn the world from a distance. But the adaptable believer? They pivot. They learn. They innovate. They find new ways to reach the same lost people. They use social media, not as a compromise, but as a tool. They learn the language of the young, not to pander to them, but to love them.

ANTIFRAGILE FAITH DOES NOT FEAR CHANGE; IT EXPECTS CHANGE AND PREPARES TO USE IT FOR THE KINGDOM.

Consider the recent news in our beloved South Africa. We face economic hardship. We face political uncertainty. We face social upheaval. The cost of living is rising. The youth are disillusioned. The church is hemorrhaging members to secularism and materialism.

What is our response? Are we going to stand in our traditional positions and shake our fists at the storm? Or are we going to recognize that these challenges are not obstacles—they are opportunities? Are we not called to be salt and light? But salt only flavours what it touches. Light only illuminates where it penetrates. We must touch and penetrate our changing world, not by becoming like the world, but by becoming accessible to the world.

THE WAR IMAGERY: BATTLE READY AND ADAPTABLE

Let me speak to you with the imagery of warfare, because we are in a battle. The Scripture declares unequivocally: we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers.

In warfare, the general who refuses to adapt his strategy is the general who loses. The enemy studies your tactics. They learn your patterns. And if you are predictable, you are vulnerable.

THE ENEMY DOES NOT FIGHT THE SAME BATTLE TWICE. NEITHER SHOULD YOU.

When the devil attacked Jesus in the wilderness, he used three different approaches. And Jesus responded with three different Scriptures. He did not use a one-size-fits-all response. He was adaptable. He matched the word to the weapon.

This is why Paul could say, "I have become all things to all people." He was not a chameleon, changing his identity. He was a soldier, changing his strategy. The soldier remains a soldier whether he fights with a spear or a rifle. The message remains the message whether it is preached through a translator or a YouTube live stream.

THE PASTORAL HEART: WHY THIS MATTERS TO YOUR SOUL

Beloved, I speak to you now with the tenderness of a shepherd.

Perhaps you are rigid. Perhaps you are Mr. Dlamini, refusing to adapt because you are afraid of change. And your fear has made you irrelevant. You have become a museum piece in a world that needs a living witness. You are so afraid of compromise that you have ceased to communicate.

Or perhaps you are the opposite. Perhaps you have become so flexible that you have lost your anchor. You have changed so much that no one recognizes Jesus in you anymore. You have blended in so completely that you cannot be distinguished from the world.

Let me say this to both of you:

THE CORE AND THE METHOD ARE NOT ENEMIES. THEY ARE PARTNERS. THE CORE WITHOUT THE METHOD IS INEFFECTIVE. THE METHOD WITHOUT THE CORE IS EMPTY.

You must hold your core like a vice tight, immovable, unshakeable. You must hold your methods like an open hand ready to receive, ready to adjust, ready to let go.

ACTIONABLE STEPS FOR THE ADAPTABLE BELIEVER

1. EXAMINE YOUR CORE: What are your non-negotiables? Write them down. Is Jesus the Son of God? Is salvation by grace through faith? Is the Bible the Word of God? These are your core. Hold them like the Rock of Ages.

2. EXAMINE YOUR METHODS: What are your preferences? What are your habits? What are your cultural expressions? Separate them from your core. Ask yourself: "Could I change this and still be faithful?"

3. LISTEN TO THOSE DIFFERENT FROM YOU: The older must listen to the younger. The younger must honour the older. The white church must learn from the black church. The black church must learn from the white church. The rich must listen to the poor. The poor must teach the rich. We are all one in Christ.

4. BE WILLING TO CHANGE: The moment you stop learning is the moment you start dying. The church that refuses to adapt is the church that becomes a tomb.

5. NEVER COMPROMISE THE MESSAGE: The Gospel is not negotiable. It is not adaptable. It is not changeable. You can change the packaging, but the product is eternal.

THE PRAYER OF ADAPTABILITY

Let us pray together, my beloved. Let us speak to the Lord who holds all things together.

Lord Jesus Christ, anchor my core in You. Plant me like the baobab in the soil of Your truth, so deep that no storm can uproot me. Let my identity be so secure in You that I do not fear change. Give me the courage of Paul—the apostle who became all things to all people. Teach me to hold fast to the Gospel while holding loosely to my preferences. Lord, I repent of my rigidity. I repent of my stubbornness. I repent of elevating my culture to the level of Your commands. Forgive me for the souls I have failed to reach because I refused to adapt. And Lord, I also repent of compromise. Forgive me for the times I have watered down Your truth to be accepted. Help me to find the balance—the holy middle ground where I am unshakable in my faith but flexible in my methods. Make me antifragile, Lord. Make me a weapon in Your hand—sharp, effective, and ready for every battle. For Your glory alone, I pray, in the matchless name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

THE FINAL WORD: THE MAP AND THE COMPASS

Your core is your compass. Your methods are your map.

The compass always points true north. It does not change. It is fixed. But the map changes with the terrain. When you travel from Pretoria to Cape Town, the map adapts to the roads, the mountains, the rivers. The map is flexible. But the compass never changes. It always points to the same destination.

YOUR COMPASS IS JESUS CHRIST—THE SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND FOREVER. YOUR MAP IS THE CULTURE, THE CONTEXT, THE GENERATION YOU ARE CALLED TO REACH. FOLLOW THE COMPASS, BUT ALWAYS CHECK THE MAP.

The Scripture declares unequivocally: "I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some."

Not all. But some. And some is enough when some are saved from eternal death.

BE RIGID IN YOUR TRUTH. BE FLEXIBLE IN YOUR TACTICS. BE ADAPTABLE IN YOUR METHODS. BE UNCOMPROMISING IN YOUR MESSAGE.

Go forth, my beloved. Go forth and be all things to all people. Not to please them. Not to impress them. Not to be liked by them. But to save them. To bring them to Jesus. To see them delivered from the wrath to come.

ADAPTABILITY IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF CONVICTION, BUT THE PRESENCE OF COMPASSION. THE CORE AND THE METHOD—HOLD BOTH, AND YOU SHALL NOT FALL.

Go in peace. Go in power. Go in the Spirit.

Harold Mawela

Akasia, Pretoria

South Africa

"What you do daily determines what you become permanently."

REFLECTION QUESTIONS FOR THE JOURNEY

1. What aspects of your faith are truly core (non-negotiable), and which are merely preferences you have elevated to the level of doctrine?

2. Is there a generation, culture, or group of people you have been unable to reach because you have refused to adapt your methods?

3. What practical step can you take this week to become "all things" to someone who is different from you?

4. Where are you most tempted to compromise the core for the sake of method? Where are you most tempted to cling to method at the expense of the core?

5. How can you be more like the baobab—firm in your trunk, but flexible in your branches—for the sake of the Gospel?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

The Rooster’s Restoration

The Rooster’s Restoration: When Failure Becomes Your Foundation By Harold Mawela Akasia, Pretoria Scripture: “The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: ‘Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.’ And he went outside and wept bitterly.” (Luke 22:61-62) I woke up this past Tuesday to the sound of a rooster crowing somewhere in the dusty streets of Akasia. My neighbour, old Mr. Dlamini, keeps a few chickens in his backyard—much to the annoyance of the municipality, but that is a story for another day. That crow pierced the morning silence like a prophet’s whisper. And immediately, my mind went to Simon Peter. Now, let me be honest with you. For years, I preached Peter’s denial as a cautionary tale—a warning against pride, a lesson in failure. I stood behind pulpits in Mamelodi, in Soshanguve, in the city centre, and I would point my finger and say, “Don’t be like Peter! He boasted when he should have pray...

The Investigator's Faith

The Investigator’s Faith: Where Reason and Revelation Meet in the African Soul A Personal Encounter with Truth My friends, let me tell you about the day I became a detective of the divine. It was right here in Akasia, Pretoria, where the red soil stains your shoes and the summer heat shimmers like a mirage over the Mabopane Highway. I was sitting in my study, surrounded by books—theological tomes, scientific journals, and the daily newspaper filled with stories of load-shedding and political turmoil. That particular day, the front page carried a story about our local police station struggling with only five operational vehicles to serve 152 square kilometers . Can you imagine? How does one enforce justice without proper tools This got me thinking about our spiritual tools—how we investigate the greatest claims of truth. Are we properly equipped? I recall my uncle, a lifelong skeptic, challenging me: "How can an educated man like you believe a dead man came back to life?" Inst...