Skip to main content

The Foundation Unseen


 The Foundation Unseen

"Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." Matthew 7:24

I live in Akasia, Pretoria a place where the earth shifts beneath your feet if you don't anchor well. Our national soil is famously unstable; sinkholes swallow houses without warning. One morning you wake up in your four-bedroom dream home; the next morning, a gaping chasm has claimed your kitchen, your bedroom, your legacy. The foundation you cannot see determines everything you can.

This is the parable of our lives.

The Termite Tower

Picture, if you will, the African termite mound that towering monument of clay rising defiantly above the savannah grass. Tourists photograph it. Children play near it. From a distance, it is magnificent. But beneath that visible tower lies a dark, sprawling, complex subterranean city that no human eye has ever fully mapped. Tunnels, chambers, nurseries, fungal gardens a civilisation of hidden industry.

The world sees the visible tower of your success. God is building the unseen foundation of your character in secret.

Here is a Mawela Principle: Your destiny is decoded in your daily disciplines. What you repeat, you become. What you neglect, you forfeit. The foundation is not laid in a day; it is laid in the dark, in the quiet, in the invisible hours when no one applauds.

The Farmgate of the Soul

Just this past week, our nation watched as President Ramaphosa secured a court order halting the parliamentary impeachment inquiry into the "Farmgate" scandal. Allegations, counter-allegations, legal manoeuvres the drama plays out on every screen. But here is what struck me: whatever the outcome of that courtroom battle, the real battle was fought long before any judge signed any order. Character is not proven in court; it is proven in the shadows. The courtroom merely reveals what the shadows already produced.

Is it not true that we all feel the pressure of public performance? We polish the visible tower while neglecting the unseen foundation. We post the highlight reel while the basement floods. We sing on Sunday but starve in secret on Monday.

The argument can be formulated thus:

· Premise 1: Every visible structure depends entirely on an invisible foundation.

· Premise 2: The storms of life economic collapse, relational betrayal, health crises will inevitably test every structure.

· Premise 3: Only foundations anchored in the Rock Jesus Christ can withstand such testing.

· Conclusion: Therefore, investing in the unseen foundation is not optional; it is the singular wise investment of your existence.

A common objection is: "But I don't have time for private prayer and secret faithfulness I have bills to pay, children to raise, a career to build." However, this fails because it mistakes the urgent for the essential. The very bills, children, and career that consume you will be the first casualties when your unseen foundation crumbles. You cannot pour from an empty cistern. You cannot build a tower on sand and call it wisdom.

The Unseen Republic

Consider our beloved South Africa. The World Bank just signed a $1.5 billion loan to support our infrastructure reforms. Billions for roads, rails, ports, and power visible things. Yet our deepest crisis is not visible at all. It is the crisis of character the corruption that hollows out institutions, the cynicism that paralyses hope, the apathy that entombs potential. Youth unemployment stands at 45.8% among 15 to 34-year-olds. 60.9% of our young people aged 15 to 24 cannot find work. We build stadiums but we do not build souls. We pave roads but we do not pave pathways to purpose.

Our nation's foundation is cracking because we polished the tower while the basement rotted.

But I am not here to indict the nation; I am here to indict myself and to invite you to join me in the indictment. When I look at my own life, I see seasons where I chased visibility while avoiding vulnerability. I chased platforms while neglecting prayer. I chased influence while ignoring intimacy with Jesus Christ.

The Law of the Unseen Foundation is this: What you build in secret determines what you sustain in public. You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue in the dark.

The Carpenter of Nazareth

Jesus Christ, the Carpenter of Nazareth, knew foundations. He knew that wood and stone are only as strong as what lies beneath. He spoke this parable not to religious professionals but to ordinary people people like you and me, wrestling with daily bread, daily burdens, daily betrayals.

He said: "Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." (Matthew 7:24)

Notice the sequence: Hearing is not enough. Putting into practice is the foundation. Private prayer is the practice. Secret faithfulness is the practice. Hidden obedience is the practice. These are the bricks of the unseen foundation. Society may not celebrate them, but Heaven records them.

And when the storms come and they will come, make no mistake the visible tower will stand or fall based on the integrity of the unseen foundation.

The Seismic Test

I remember a season five years ago now when my world collapsed. Not metaphorically. Actually. My marriage shook. My health failed. My finances evaporated. I stood in the rubble of what I thought was a solid life, and I realised: the tower I had built was impressive, but the foundation was shallow. I had built for applause, not for anchor. I had built for now, not for eternity.

In that darkness, I discovered the Sound of Sacred Silence. I discovered that God does His deepest work when no one is watching. He builds character in the crucible, not on the catwalk. He strengthens sinews in the shadows.

That is why I can tell you today: Invest in what is eternal, and the temporal will take care of itself.

The Daily Dig

So what does this look like? Practically. Today. In Akasia. In your home, your workplace, your church, your community.

First: Private Prayer. Not the prayer you pray when others are listening. The prayer you pray when no one else is in the room. The groaning, wrestling, honest prayer that says, "Lord, I am weak. Build me."

Second: Secret Faithfulness. The integrity you practice when no one is watching. The honest tax return. The kind word about an absent colleague. The refusal to cut corners. The decision to serve when no one applauds.

Third: Hidden Obedience. The command you obey even when it costs you. The forgiveness you extend even when it hurts. The generosity you give even when you cannot afford it. The witness you share even when it is unpopular.

The Mawela Principle is clear: What you do daily determines what you become permanently. You will never become strong until you hate weakness. You will never become faithful until you despise faithlessness. You will never become wise until you fear foolishness.

The Storm Is Coming

The South African Reserve Bank just held the repo rate at 7% a surprise move that signals economic uncertainty. Our reform momentum has turned negative. Our water infrastructure is collapsing. Our transport sector is eroding our competitiveness.

The storms are not hypothetical. They are here. They are coming. They are already at the door.

But here is the good news: The same storm that destroys the house on sand proves the house on rock. The storm does not discriminate; it tests both. But only one stands. Only one endures. Only one the one built on the unseen foundation of obedience to Jesus Christ defies the tempest.

The Call

So I call you today not to comfort, but to construction. Not to applause, but to anchor. Not to visibility, but to vulnerability.

Build below the waterline. Dig deep. Lay brick upon brick in the darkness. Pray when no one hears. Obey when no one sees. Serve when no one notices.

And one day perhaps not today, perhaps not tomorrow, but one day the storm will come. And when it does, your house will stand. Not because you built a beautiful tower, but because you built a faithful foundation.

The Foundation Unseen is the only foundation that lasts.

Prayer

Lord Jesus Christ, Carpenter of my soul, forgive me for polishing the tower while neglecting the foundation. Forgive me for chasing visibility while avoiding vulnerability. Forgive me for building for applause instead of anchor.

Build in me the unseen foundation private prayer, secret faithfulness, hidden obedience. Let my character be forged in the furnace of Your presence. Let my foundation be laid in the darkness of Your grace.

When the storms come and they will come let my house stand. Not because I am strong, but because You are the Rock. Not because I am wise, but because I built on You.

In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, my Foundation and my Fortress.

Amen.

"The world sees the tower; God sees the foundation. Build wisely."

— Harold Mawela

Akasia, Pretoria

25 July 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...

The Rooster’s Restoration

The Rooster’s Restoration: When Failure Becomes Your Foundation By Harold Mawela Akasia, Pretoria Scripture: “The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: ‘Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.’ And he went outside and wept bitterly.” (Luke 22:61-62) I woke up this past Tuesday to the sound of a rooster crowing somewhere in the dusty streets of Akasia. My neighbour, old Mr. Dlamini, keeps a few chickens in his backyard—much to the annoyance of the municipality, but that is a story for another day. That crow pierced the morning silence like a prophet’s whisper. And immediately, my mind went to Simon Peter. Now, let me be honest with you. For years, I preached Peter’s denial as a cautionary tale—a warning against pride, a lesson in failure. I stood behind pulpits in Mamelodi, in Soshanguve, in the city centre, and I would point my finger and say, “Don’t be like Peter! He boasted when he should have pray...