The Law of the Open Hand: Why Hoarding Is Starving and Giving Is Growing
By Harold Mawela | Akasia, Pretoria
I am writing to you from my home in Akasia, on the northern edge of Pretoria, where the Highveld winter has stripped the jacarandas bare and the morning mist hangs over our township like a question mark. The year is 2026.
Just last week, I sat on my stoep watching the evening news. The headlines were a battlefield: unemployment had climbed to 32.7%, with young people aged 15 to 24 facing a staggering 60.9% jobless rate. Inflation had hit 5.0%, eroding whatever meagre salary gains workers had managed to scrape together. The cost of living was rising faster than wages, leaving ordinary South Africans with the weakest purchasing power in two years. And in the streets of Johannesburg, anti-immigration protests had become a weekly ritual—not because migrants are the enemy, but because desperate people need someone to blame.
As the news droned on, my daughter walked onto the stoep and asked me a question I could not answer: "Dad, are we going to be okay?"
I looked at her. I looked at the news. I looked at my own hands and I realised something that shook me to my core.
My hands were clenched.
Define Your Terms: The Granary and the Grave
Let us define our terms clearly. The Scripture speaks of giving in Luke 6:38: "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
The image is agrarian. Jesus spoke to farmers who understood grain. A good measure meant a container packed so tightly that the grain was pressed down no air pockets. Shaken together so every kernel settled into place. Running over so full that it spilled beyond the rim.
Here is the theological truth: The hand that gives is the hand that grows; the fist that hoards is the fist that starves.
A farmer who fears famine will hoard his harvest and watch it rot in the granary. But the wise farmer scatters seed even when the barn looks empty, trusting the same Hand that gave the first crop to grow the next. The hoarder protects his grain and loses it to weevils and decay. The sower releases his seed and reaps a harvest thirty, sixty, a hundredfold.
Generosity is not the risk of losing; it is the ritual of receiving.
The Argument Formulated: Three Laws of the Open Hand
Let me present this as a logical syllogism:
Premise One: God is the ultimate Giver. He gave His Son. He gave His breath. He gave His Spirit. He gave life itself.
Premise Two: Those who are made in His image are called to reflect His character. To give is to image God. To hoard is to deny Him.
Premise Three: Therefore, giving is not optional charity it is essential worship. It is the fingerprint of the Divine on human hands.
Now let me anticipate the objection. I can hear someone say: "Harold, you don't understand my situation. I have nothing to give. I am struggling to feed my own children. The electricity meter is beeping. The rent is due. How can you tell me to give when I am drowning?"
I hear you. I have stood where you stand. I have counted coins for bread. I have watched the bank balance shrink and felt the cold hand of fear grip my throat.
But here is what I have learned: Poverty of pocket is no excuse for poverty of spirit.
The widow of Zarephatha had only a handful of flour and a little oil enough for one last meal for herself and her son. Yet when Elijah asked her to give first, she obeyed. And the flour and oil did not run out until the rain came (1 Kings 17:8-16).
The boy with five loaves and two fish had barely enough for himself. Yet when he gave his lunch to Jesus, it fed five thousand with twelve baskets left over (John 6:1-14).
You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue. You will never receive what you are unwilling to release.
The Harvest of Momentum: South Africa's Crisis of Closed Fists
Let me bring this home to our beautiful, broken nation.
South Africa in 2026 is a country of clenched fists. We are hoarding our hope. We are hoarding our resources. We are hoarding our trust. The unemployment rate is 32.7%, with more than eight million South Africans out of work. The youth unemployment rate stands at 45.8% almost half of our young people locked out of the economy. Inflation is eating our salaries. The cost of living is squeezing households until they gasp for air.
And what is our response? We blame the foreigner. We blame the government. We blame the system. We blame everyone except the one person we can actually change: ourselves.
The anti-immigration protests that have become a weekly fixture in our cities are not really about migration. They are about fear. Fear that there is not enough to go around. Fear that someone else will take what is ours. Fear that if we open our hands, we will lose everything.
But here is the paradox that the world does not understand: Attack is the proof that your enemy anticipates your success. The enemy whether it is poverty, fear, or the devil himself wants you to close your fist. Because a closed fist cannot receive. A closed fist cannot give. A closed fist is a dead hand.
The Ritual of Receiving: Why Giving Is Not Loss
Let me tell you a story.
A few years ago, when my ministry was struggling and the offerings were thin, a young man came to me asking for help. He was not a member of our church. He was not even a Christian. He was a stranger hungry, homeless, and hopeless.
I looked at my empty wallet. I looked at my family's needs. I looked at this young man. And I heard the Spirit whisper: "Give."
I argued. I reasoned. I calculated. I had nothing to give. But I reached into my pocket and gave him the last R200 I had.
That evening, an envelope was slipped under my door. Inside was R2,000 with a note that said: "Pastor, I don't know why, but I felt led to give this to you."
I am not telling you this to boast. I am telling you this to testify: God fills what fear empties.
Christ, who gave His last breath on the cross, still has more to give you. He gave Himself completely and in doing so, He received the resurrection. He emptied Himself—and in doing so, He filled the universe. He opened His hands on the cross and in doing so, He opened the gates of heaven.
The fist that hoards is the fist that starves. But the hand that gives is the hand that grows.
The Call to Action: Open Your Grip
So what must you do?
First, examine your hands. Are they clenched or open? Are you holding onto things that are already dead? Are you protecting what God is asking you to release?
Second, give something even if it is small. It is not about the size of the gift; it is about the surrender of the grip. The widow's mite was worth more than all the gold of the Pharisees because it cost her everything (Mark 12:41-44).
Third, trust the Giver. God is not a debtor. He does not owe you but He delights to out-give you. Proverbs 11:25 declares: "A generous soul will prosper, and he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."
Fourth, keep giving. Generosity is not a one-time event; it is a daily discipline. What you do daily determines what you become permanently.
The Prayer of the Open Hand
Lord, loosen my grip. Teach me to give as freely as You gave Christ. Forgive me for the times I have hoarded what was never mine. Forgive me for the times I have closed my fist in fear. Open my hands, Lord not just to receive, but to release. Let me be a channel, not a reservoir. Let me be a sower, not a hoarder. Let me be like Jesus, who gave His last breath and still has more to give. In the name of the One who opened His hands on the cross and opened the gates of heaven Jesus Christ. Amen.
The Final Word
The granary of grace is never empty. The harvest of heaven is never exhausted. The Hand that feeds the sparrows will not starve His children.
Open your grip. God fills what fear empties.
From my study in Akasia, where the winter sun is beginning to break through the mist and the jacarandas are waiting for spring,
Harold Mawela
Pretoria, 2026

Comments
Post a Comment