Skip to main content

Perceiving Conviction for Sin: Analyzing Behavior and Moral Repugnance


Perceiving Conviction for Sin: Analyzing Behavior and Moral Repugnance

Scripture: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 - "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

1. Analyze your behavior in light of God's word - compare your actions to what is being taught in the Bible.

2. Pay attention to any sense of moral repugnance - sometimes the Holy Spirit may convict you of sin in a way that is beyond human understanding.

3. Remember that God speaks in many ways - through scripture, through the still small voice within you, and through other means.

4. Allow the Spirit to intercede for you - when you are unsure of how to proceed, trust in the Holy Spirit to make intercession for you.

5. Seek approval through scripture and the Holy Spirit - study and listen for guidance in all things.

Dear God, help us to be sensitive to your conviction for sin in our lives. Grant us the wisdom to discern your voice and the courage to obey your word. May your Spirit guide us in all things, leading us on the path of righteousness. Amen.

My story

I continued my journey of seeking truth, but this time with a newfound understanding of God's role in guiding me. I prayed earnestly for wisdom and discernment, asking for His help in navigating the complexities of faith and belief.

As I delved deeper into scripture and sought out different perspectives, I felt His presence guiding me and illuminating my path. I began to see His hand at work in the world around me, in the beauty of nature, the kindness of strangers, and the moments of clarity and insight that seemed to come from beyond myself.

Through prayer and meditation, I sought to align my will with His, surrendering my doubts and uncertainties to His infinite wisdom. I realized that the pursuit of truth was not just an intellectual exercise, but a spiritual journey guided by His divine presence.

And in that surrender, I found a renewed sense of peace and purpose. I understood that while I may never fully comprehend the mysteries of God and His ways, I could trust in His eternal and absolute truth to guide me along the path He had set before me.

So as I continue my journey, I do so with faith and trust in God's guidance, knowing that He will lead me to the truth that sets me free. And in that truth, I find a deep and abiding peace that sustains me through the challenges and uncertainties of life. With God as my compass, I am confident that I will not only find the truth I seek, but also the freedom and liberation that come from knowing Him.

Go deeper 

Conviction for sin is a fundamental aspect of Christian belief, rooted in the recognition of one's own moral failings and the need for repentance. The Bible teaches that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)and that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). This understanding should lead to a sense of moral repugnance towards sinful behavior.

Behavior that is contrary to the will of God should be seen as offensive and deserving of correction. This conviction for sin should drive believers to seek forgiveness and restoration through confession and repentance (1 John 1:9). As Christians, we are called to examine our hearts and actions in light of God's word, allowing the Holy Spirit to convict us of sin and guide us towards righteousness (Psalm 139:23-24).

Ultimately, the recognition of sin should lead to a transformation of behavior, as we seek to live in a manner that is pleasing to God (Romans 12:2). This process of sanctification is ongoing and requires a humble and contrite heart that is willing to submit to God's will (Psalm 51:17).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

Faithful in the Forgotten

  The Unseen Altar: Where God Forges Spiritual Depth in an Age of Instant Glory The Night the Lights Went Out The familiar, dreaded silence fell first. The hum of the refrigerator ceased mid-cycle. The bright screen of my phone, filled with the curated highlights of a dozen ministries, went black. Load-shedding had come to Akasia again. In the sudden, thick darkness, I fumbled for a candle. As the small flame took hold, it didn't just illuminate the room; it illuminated a truth. We spend so much energy trying to stay visible in the grid, terrified of the dark, when God so often uses the dark to show us the only light that truly matters. This is the tension we modern South Africans, and indeed all modern believers, must navigate. We live in a world that screams, "Your value is your visibility!" Social media metrics, church attendance numbers, and public influence are the new currencies of success. Yet, into this noise, the quiet, unwavering voice of Scripture speaks a coun...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...