Skip to main content

A Mother Who Arose for a Nation


 A MOTHER WHO AROSE FOR A NATION

Scripture: “Village life in Israel ceased… until I, Deborah, arose, arose as a mother in Israel.” (Judges 5:7)

From my little corner of Akasia, Pretoria, I watch the Jacaranda City prepare for another season. The purple blooms have fallen, their brief majesty trampled into the dust of another hot Highveld summer. The season of spectacular beauty gives way to a more familiar, more honest terrain: the hard, sunbaked earth.

This, my friends, is the perfect metaphor for our current moment.

Just last week, I sat on my stoep as the evening news filtered through—another petrol price cut of 52 cents per litre, followed immediately by the sobering news that diesel would rise by over R1.23. A nation catching its breath, only to feel the weight press down again. The unemployment rate has climbed to 32.7%, with more than 8.1 million South Africans without work. Our young people those aged 15 to 24 face a staggering 60% unemployment rate. The headlines speak of resilience in the face of US tariffs, of courts challenging the Expropriation Act, of coalition politics that feels more like a shadowboxing match than governance.

And in the midst of all this, I ask myself: Where are the mothers?

Not biological mothers alone though God knows they carry enough. I am speaking of spiritual mothers. Women and men who carry the heart of a mother for a paralyzed nation. Women like Deborah.

DEFINING THE TERM: WHAT IS A MOTHER IN ISRAEL?

Let us define our terms clearly.

Deborah did not call herself a general. She did not claim the title of commander, ruler, or even prophetess though she was all these things. She declared herself “a mother in Israel.” 

The Hebrew word carries profound weight. A mother in Israel was not merely a woman who had given birth. She was a protector, a nurturer, one who inspires and encourages her people back to covenant loyalty. She was the one who, when the village life ceased and the warriors hid in fear, stood up and said: “Enough.”

The Scripture records that the inhabitants of the villages ceased they stopped, they stalled, they surrendered. The Hebrew verb is repeated for emphasis. The cessation was complete. No one was moving. No one was fighting. No one was leading.

Until Deborah arose.

Notice the progression: She heard God’s word and acted on it (Judges 4:6-7). She inspired Barak and the troops to move from fear to faith. Her maternal heart showed that nurturing and authority can coexist. She did not wait for permission. She did not wait for the perfect candidate. She simply arose.

THE DIVINE PHYSICS OF ARISING

Here is the law, polished in the furnace of my own observation:

Leadership is not always inherited; sometimes it is required.

God does not wait for the perfect candidate; He anoints the available one.

If no one else will stand for what is right, let it be you.

A common objection arises: “But I am not qualified. I am not a leader. I am just a mother, just a grandmother, just a concerned citizen.”

This objection fails because it misunderstands the nature of divine calling. Deborah was not a military strategist by training. She was a prophetess who sat under a palm tree, dispensing wisdom to those who came to her (Judges 4:5). She was not seeking power—she was simply available. And in her availability, God placed authority.

The Scripture declares unequivocally: “The villagers ceased to be; they ceased in Israel, until that I Deborah arose, that I arose a mother in Israel.” 

The repetition is not accidental. “I arose… I arose.” It is the sound of determination. It is the sound of a woman who has had enough of the paralysis.

THE MOTHER’S MANDATE IN OUR SOUTH AFRICAN CONTEXT

I have seen this arising with my own eyes.

Last month, I visited a township in Atteridgeville where a grandmother let me call her Mama Dlamini runs a soup kitchen from her three-room house. She has no government funding. She has no NGO backing. She simply saw children going hungry and said, “I cannot watch this anymore.” Today, she feeds over 200 children daily. She has become a mother in Israel.

I have seen it in the women of Alexandra township who conduct prayer vigils outside shebeens, declaring Scripture over places of addiction. They are not waiting for the government to fix the problem. They are arising.

I have seen it in the mothers who march against gender-based violence—not because they have political power, but because they have moral authority. They have looked at the statistics: 58 murders every day in this country. They have looked at the 9.5% drop in murders and said, “It is not enough. We will not stop until our children are safe.” 

This is the spirit of Deborah.

And let me speak to the men reading this—for the Scripture is not silent on your role either. Deborah did not replace Barak; she summoned him. She expected male leadership to rise. When Barak hesitated, she did not despise him she rebuked him with truth and then marched alongside him (Judges 4:9). The call to arise is not a call to gender war. It is a call to covenant partnership. It is the spirit of ubuntu the South African belief that a person’s humanity is tied to others, “I am because we are.” 

THE ANVIL OF THE ALMIGHTY

I know the weight of this moment. I have felt it in my own spirit. Just last year, as I watched projects collapse and provision grow scarce, I felt like a man watching his own house fall, plank by plank. The economic load-shedding of the soul hit hard.

But here is what I learned in the darkness: Your deepest despair is not the demolition of your purpose, but the necessary clearing of the site for God’s greater blueprint.

The weight that feels like it will crush you is the very force required to compact your character into diamond. God does not waste your agony; He strategically invests it.

Deborah arose in a time of national paralysis. The enemy had oppressed Israel for twenty years (Judges 4:3). Twenty years of silence. Twenty years of fear. Twenty years of waiting for someone anyone to stand up.

And then a mother arose.

THE ARGUMENT STATED CLEARLY

Let me present the core argument in logical form:

Premise 1: When covenant leaders fail to lead, God raises up those who are willing to arise.

Premise 2: South Africa is experiencing a crisis of leadership—economic, spiritual, and moral.

Premise 3: Therefore, the call of this hour is for every believer to arise as a mother in Israel, regardless of title, gender, or status.

Premise 4: Arising is not about seeking power; it is about accepting responsibility.

Conclusion: The palm tree of your obedience may become the courtroom where a nation finds its courage again.

THE PROPHETIC CONFRONTATION

We must sound the alarm against the cultural compromise that has paralyzed us.

We have believed the lie that leadership belongs to others—to those with titles, those with education, those with connections. We have accepted the sin of syncretism—mixing the world's frantic anxiety with God's perfect peace, diluting His sovereignty with our speculation, until our faith is a weak tea that cannot fortify the spirit.

We have convinced ourselves that someone else will rise.

But what if no one else rises?

What if the one God is calling is you?

The Scripture declares that the villagers ceased until Deborah arose. Not until a general arose. Not until a king arose. Until a mother arose.

A PRAYER FOR THE ARISING

Lord, give me courage to arise when the moment demands leadership rather than comfort.

Give me the heart of Deborah the prophet who heard Your voice, the judge who dispensed Your wisdom, the mother who nurtured a nation back to courage.

I confess my fear. I confess my hesitation. I confess the times I have waited for someone else to stand.

But today, I arise.

I arise as a mother in this nation.

I arise as a protector of the vulnerable.

I arise as a voice for the voiceless.

I arise as one who will not watch the village cease while I remain seated.

In the name of Jesus Christ, who arose from the dead and calls me to rise with Him.

Amen.

THE FINAL WORD

Your destiny is decoded in your daily decisions. What you refuse to confront, you cannot conquer. What you neglect, you forfeit.

The village is ceasing, South Africa. The village is ceasing.

Will you arise?

Will you arise as a mother in Israel?

The palm tree of your obedience is waiting. The courtroom of your calling is open. The nation is watching.

Arise.

By Harold Mawela

From my study in Akasia, Pretoria

August 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...

The Rooster’s Restoration

The Rooster’s Restoration: When Failure Becomes Your Foundation By Harold Mawela Akasia, Pretoria Scripture: “The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: ‘Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.’ And he went outside and wept bitterly.” (Luke 22:61-62) I woke up this past Tuesday to the sound of a rooster crowing somewhere in the dusty streets of Akasia. My neighbour, old Mr. Dlamini, keeps a few chickens in his backyard—much to the annoyance of the municipality, but that is a story for another day. That crow pierced the morning silence like a prophet’s whisper. And immediately, my mind went to Simon Peter. Now, let me be honest with you. For years, I preached Peter’s denial as a cautionary tale—a warning against pride, a lesson in failure. I stood behind pulpits in Mamelodi, in Soshanguve, in the city centre, and I would point my finger and say, “Don’t be like Peter! He boasted when he should have pray...