Title: The Antidote to Anxiety
By Harold Mawela | Akasia, Pretoria
1. The Diagnosis: When the Weight Becomes a Prison
Let me tell you about a Tuesday morning in Akasia.
I was standing in the queue at a local filling station the one just off the main road, where the jacarandas droop heavy with purple blossoms that mask the anxiety beneath. The petrol price had just climbed again. The woman in front of me was on her phone, her voice cracking as she explained to someone that she didn't know how she would make it to month-end. Behind me, a young man in a security company uniform stared at his bank notification like it was a death sentence. Seventy-two percent of South Africans now admit to experiencing severe money stress. Three-quarters of those under thirty-five say they are anxious about their finances. Financial anxiety among those twenty-four and younger has spiked by eighteen percent in just one year.
We are a nation drowning in worry.
But here's the deeper truth I want you to see: anxiety is not merely a South African problem it is a human problem. It is the weight we were never built to carry alone. And yet, we keep clutching what Christ commanded us to cast.
The Scripture declares unequivocally: "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7). That word "cast" in the Greek is an aorist imperative a once-and-for-all transfer of every burden to the omnipotent, covenant-keeping God. It is not a suggestion to "calm down." It is a command to transfer the load from our shoulders to His.
Yet we refuse. Why? Because we have confused anxiety with responsibility.
2. The Investigation: Why We Clutch What We Should Cast
Let us examine this with intellectual honesty.
Anxiety, from the Greek merimna, literally means "divided attention". It is the state of being pulled in two directions trying to hold what only God can carry while simultaneously trying to trust that He will. It implies not only distrust of God's providence but also a delusion that we may be able to manage better for ourselves.
Consider the logic:
· Premise 1: God is omniscient—He knows every detail of your situation before you do.
· Premise 2: God is omnipotent—He has power to act where you have none.
· Premise 3: God is omnibenevolent—He cares for you with deepest affection.
· Conclusion: To hold onto anxiety is to act as if God is not omniscient, not omnipotent, and not caring. It is functional atheism dressed in religious language.
A common objection arises: "But Harold, my anxiety is justified look at the crime, look at the economy, look at my children!"
I hear you. I live in this same South Africa. I know the fear that drives people to build higher walls, install more cameras, and apply for firearm licences applications that have surged as fear of crime reshapes how we move, socialise, and even perceive strangers. I know the weight of looking at your bank balance and wondering how you will feed your family.
But here is the truth that will either liberate you or offend you: Anxiety is not the evidence of a real problem it is the evidence of a misplaced trust. The problem is real. The anxiety is the response to the problem. And the response is what God addresses.
Fear of crime is not irrational violent crime is a lived reality for many South Africans. But barricading yourself behind spiked walls and electric fences does not solve the problem it merely displaces it onto more vulnerable communities. In the same way, holding onto your anxiety does not solve your problem it merely transfers the burden from God's capable hands to your exhausted shoulders.
3. The Transformative Insight: Surrender as Strategy
Here is the paradox that will set you free: The cure is not calmness manufactured by willpower it is confidence anchored in a Father who carries.
Worry whispers, "You must hold this." Faith declares, "He already has."
Picture this: A ship in a tempest. Peace is not the calm sea that is the world's fragile truce. Peace is the unbreakable anchor beneath the storm. Christ's peace is not passive stillness; it is the victorious roar of a conqueror who has already overcome the world. "In this world you will have trouble," Jesus said. "But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).
The antidote to anxiety is not the absence of problems it is the presence of a Person.
Every storm you surrender becomes soil where peace can grow.
This is not escapism. This is not denial. This is the most practical, actionable strategy ever given to humanity. When you cast your anxiety on God, you are not pretending the problem doesn't exist. You are acknowledging that the problem exists and that God exists, and that He is bigger.
4. The Practical Embodiment: How to Cast What You Carry
Let me give you three laws of anxiety release principles you can apply immediately:
Law One: You Cannot Cast What You Will Not Confess.
You must name the anxiety before you can release it. The Bible says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Philippians 4:6). You present specific requests. Not vague worries. The anxiety about your debt. The fear about your children's safety. The dread about your health. Name it. Write it down. Speak it aloud.
Law Two: You Cannot Carry What You Have Already Cast.
The Greek construction of 1 Peter 5:7 suggests a single, decisive act of casting. The Amplified Bible renders it: "casting all your cares—all your anxieties, all your worries, and all your concerns, once and for all on Him". Once you have cast it, do not pick it back up. Every time anxiety returns, remind yourself: "I have already given this to God. He is carrying it now."
Law Three: You Cannot Trust What You Do Not Know.
The reason we hold onto anxiety is that we do not know the One we are supposed to trust. Peter grounds the command to cast in the character of God: "because He cares for you". The more fully you cast, the more clearly you experience the settled assurance of His care. Trust is built through practice. Each act of casting strengthens the muscle of faith.
5. The Closing Call: Release, Receive, and Rise
I stand before you not as a man who has mastered anxiety, but as a man who is learning to cast it daily. I know the weight. I know the fear. I know the sleepless nights in Akasia when the load feels unbearable.
But I also know the One who carries.
Cast it. Don't carry it.
The nation is anxious. The statistics are staggering—one in four South African adults likely require mental health services. But the Church has an answer that the world cannot manufacture. We have a Father who cares, a Saviour who carries, and a Spirit who strengthens.
You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue. You will never release what you are unwilling to surrender.
So today, I invite you to do what Peter commanded: humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God (1 Peter 5:6). Humility is not weakness—it is active dependence on God for help. It is the recognition that you were never meant to carry this weight alone.
Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ, I release what I cannot hold. You carried the cross You can carry my cares. I cast every anxiety, every fear, every sleepless night, every financial dread, every worry about my children, every fear of the future I cast it all upon You. Not because I am strong, but because You are. Not because I have figured it out, but because You have already overcome. I receive Your peace not the world's fragile ceasefire, but Your conquering calm. In the mighty name of Jesus, Amen.
Go in peace. Not because the storm has stopped but because the Anchor holds.
Harold Mawela
Akasia, Pretoria
2026

Comments
Post a Comment