Skip to main content

Beloved Beyond the Ledger of Years


Beloved Beyond the Ledger of Years

By Harold Mawela | Akasia, Pretoria | 5 August 2026

From my study in Akasia, on the northern edge of Pretoria, I am writing to you on a Wednesday morning that feels like a sermon waiting to be preached. The air outside is thick with the hum of generators that sound we have learned to love, because it means the power is on. But inside my spirit, there is a different kind of hum. It is the sound of a question that will not leave me alone:

What do you do when the world's applause lands on someone else's shoulders, and your own feel bare?

I have been wrestling with this question all week. Not because I am bitter no, bitterness is too heavy a burden for a man my age to carry. But because I see it everywhere. I see it in the eyes of the young woman at the shopping centre in Wonderboom, scrolling through Instagram while standing in the queue at Checkers, watching other women's lives unfold like perfect little movies while her own feels like a blooper reel. I see it in the faces of the mothers in Soshanguve, carrying the weight of households on their backs while the world measures their worth by what they do not have. I see it in the boardrooms of Sandton, where women finally break through the glass ceiling only to find themselves standing on a glass cliff appointed to lead organisations already in crisis, almost set up to fail.

And if I am honest with you and I must be, for what is a preacher if not honest? I see it in my own mirror some mornings.

The Arithmetic of Affection

Let us define our terms clearly. The Scripture declares unequivocally: "Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah... but the Lord saw that Leah was unloved, and He enabled her to conceive".

Here we have two women. Rachel beautiful, beloved, the object of Jacob's fourteen years of labour. Leah overlooked, unloved, the one nobody chose.

Now, if you were running the universe according to earthly arithmetic, the equation would be simple: Beloved + Beautiful = Blessed. Rachel should have been the fruitful one. Rachel should have been the one whose womb overflowed with legacy. But Heaven does not always compensate the way earth expects.

Rachel was barren. Leah was fruitful.

Favour and fruit travel different roads.

The Law of Divine Compensation

Here is a truth as immutable as gravity, polished in the furnace of Scripture: God's compassion is not calibrated by human affection. The Lord saw that Leah was hated and He opened her womb. Not because she earned it. Not because she was more deserving. But because God is never blind to a wounded heart.

Let me say this as plainly as I know how: Your worth is not measured by whose arms hold you, but by whose eyes see you.

The argument can be formulated thus:

Premise 1: Human affection is fickle, conditional, and often blind to true worth.

Premise 2: God's attention is constant, unconditional, and sees what others miss.

Conclusion: Therefore, the one who is overlooked by man is never overlooked by God.

A common objection is: "But Pastor, I feel so unseen. If God sees me, why does it still hurt so much?"

This objection fails because it confuses visibility with vindication. God saw Leah's tears long before He opened her womb. The seeing came first; the fruit came later. Your tears are not invisible to Heaven they are the very thing that catches God's eye.

The Comparison Trap in the Age of the Highlight Reel

Let me bring this home to where we live.

We are living in the age of the highlight reel. You know what I mean. You open your phone and there she is—the woman with the perfect body, the perfect husband, the perfect children, the perfect career. Her Instagram is a gallery of gleaming accomplishments. Her TikTok is a parade of praise. And you? You are sitting in your lounge in Akasia, wearing your tired tracksuit, wondering where you went wrong.

The Spirit of Comparison is a demonic influence that fuels jealousy, dissatisfaction, and self-judgment by measuring one's worth or success against another person. Envy wears the mask of admiration but breeds bitterness. And Scripture warns that envy is spiritually destructive "A sound heart is life to the body, but envy is rottenness to the bones".

You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue. But here is the paradox: You will never possess peace as long as you are pursuing someone else's portion.

A Personal Story: The Year I Lost My Way

Let me tell you about a season I do not speak of often.

There was a year I will not tell you which one, for some wounds are too fresh to date when I looked at my colleagues in ministry and felt the cold creep of comparison into my bones. They had bigger churches. They had more followers. They had invitations to speak at conferences I was not invited to. Their names were on everyone's lips, and mine? Mine felt like a whisper in a windstorm.

I began to measure my calling by their applause. I began to calculate my worth by their metrics. And in that season of comparison, I became barren. Not in the literal sense—but spiritually, creatively, emotionally. The well of my soul ran dry.

Then one night, sitting on my porch in Akasia, watching the Magaliesberg silhouette against the moonlit sky, I heard the still, small voice: "Harold, I did not call you to be them. I called you to be you."

Friends, God loves you because of who you are, but He blesses you because of what you do. And what you do must be what you were created to do not a pale imitation of someone else's assignment.

Women's Month and the Unseen Strength

This is Women's Month in South Africa. We are celebrating the strength of women in this nation. But let us not only celebrate the Rachels the beautiful, the beloved, the ones whose success is visible for all to see. Let us also honour the Leahs. The ones who carry households financially and emotionally, often without recognition. The ones who spend 30 hours a week on unpaid care work while the world measures productivity by a pay cheque. The ones who face unequal pay, limited access to economic opportunities, and underrepresentation in leadership.

The Scripture declares: "The Lord saw that Leah was unloved". He saw. He always sees. And what He sees, He responds to.

The Compassionate Arithmetic of God

Let me close with this.

God's arithmetic is not the world's arithmetic. The world counts by applause; God counts by tears. The world measures by visibility; God measures by vulnerability. The world awards the beautiful; God answers the broken.

Your destiny is not decoded in the approval of others, but in the attention of the Almighty.

Leah named her sons with the raw honesty of her wounded heart. She did not pretend to be fine. She named her pain. And God honoured that honesty with fruitfulness. Rachel, beloved but barren, eventually conceived—but only when she stopped competing and started crying out.

Whether you are the beloved or the unnoticed, both stand within reach of God's compassionate arithmetic. He is never blind to a wounded heart. The tears you think nobody sees He collects them. The ache you think nobody notices He feels it. The worth you think nobody recognises He declares it.

A Prayer for the Unseen

Father, heal the ache of comparison. Forgive us for measuring our worth by another woman's applause, another man's success, another soul's portion. Open our eyes to see that Your attention is not a competition it is a gift freely given to every wounded heart. Teach us to trust Your compassionate arithmetic: that what man overlooks, You often overrule. That what earth ignores, Heaven answers. That the tears we cry in secret are never wasted they are the very things that catch Your eye.

In the name of Jesus Christ, who saw the unseen, loved the unloved, and died for the overlooked Amen.

From my home in Akasia, on the northern edge of Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. But I also look up to a God who never holds back His compassion. Be blessed, be brave, and be who you were made to be.

Harold Mawela

Akasia, Pretoria

5 August 2026


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...

The Rooster’s Restoration

The Rooster’s Restoration: When Failure Becomes Your Foundation By Harold Mawela Akasia, Pretoria Scripture: “The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: ‘Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.’ And he went outside and wept bitterly.” (Luke 22:61-62) I woke up this past Tuesday to the sound of a rooster crowing somewhere in the dusty streets of Akasia. My neighbour, old Mr. Dlamini, keeps a few chickens in his backyard—much to the annoyance of the municipality, but that is a story for another day. That crow pierced the morning silence like a prophet’s whisper. And immediately, my mind went to Simon Peter. Now, let me be honest with you. For years, I preached Peter’s denial as a cautionary tale—a warning against pride, a lesson in failure. I stood behind pulpits in Mamelodi, in Soshanguve, in the city centre, and I would point my finger and say, “Don’t be like Peter! He boasted when he should have pray...