Skip to main content

Obedience as a Weapon Against Demonic Resistance


The Obedient Warrior: When Bowing Down Becomes Battle Cry

I. The Sound of Bleating in the Dark

The other night, load-shedding had us sitting in the dark again. Stage 4, or was it Stage 6? These days, we lose count. My neighbour, old Vusi, was on his porch, and through the fence I heard him sigh: "Yazi, this darkness is training us to become thieves. We move around our own houses like criminals."

We laughed. But his words stuck. Because isn't that exactly what spiritual disobedience does? It trains God's people to operate like criminals in their own inheritancebsneaking, hiding, making excuses, keeping the bleating sheep quiet so the Prophet doesn't hear.

Imagine, if you will, the scene: King Saul, fresh from battle, armour still gleaming, standing before Samuel with the audacity to say, "I have performed the commandment of the Lord." And all the while, behind him, sheep are bleating and oxen are lowing the very animals God commanded him to destroy.

Partial obedience is not obedience; it is polished rebellion. The Scripture declares unequivocally: "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry" (1 Samuel 15:23).

Let us define our terms clearly. Witchcraft is not merely a woman stirring a cauldron in some forest. At its core, witchcraft is seeking power, guidance, or blessing outside the commanded will of God. Idolatry is elevating anything—your reputation, your comfort, your logic, your fear of peoplenabove the absolute authority of God's word.

Therefore, Samuel's hammer blow to Saul means this: When you disobey, you are functionally consulting demons. When you stubbornly insist on your own way, you are bowing to an idol of self.

That is a hard word for a South African generation that celebrates "stubbornness" as strength and "rebellion" as liberation.

II. The Fear of Man Is a Load-Shedding of the Soul

Why did Saul disobey? He admitted it himself: "I feared the people and obeyed their voice" (1 Samuel 15:24).

Let us be honest with ourselves this morning. How many of us are living in a constant state of spiritual load-shedding? The power of God is available, but we have intentionally switched off our obedience because we are terrified of going off-grid from popular opinion.

I experienced this personally last year. The Lord put it on my heart to speak against a particular practice in a community gathering something popular, something everyone was clapping for, but something that directly contradicted Scripture. I rehearsed the speech eleven times in my head. I softened the language. I considered staying silent. The fear of being called "backward," "intolerant," "divisive"—that fear was a physical weight on my chest.

Then I remembered the word from Proverbs: "The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe" (Proverbs 29:25). A snare. That is exactly what it is. Fear of people is a steel trap on your witness.

Consider what is happening in our nation right now. As I write this, corruption charges against police intelligence chief Lt-Gen Dumisani Khumalo have been dropped a man whose appointment itself was questioned, in a police force "plagued by issues of political interference, alleged corruption and a seeming inability to effectively tackle high levels of crime."

Meanwhile, the murder of Babita Deokaran a whistleblower who uncovered R2-billion in corruption before six hitmen killed her remains unsolved at the level of those who ordered it. Acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia called systemic corruption "the disease that is eating at the country's hopes and possibilities."

And yet, in the face of all this, many believers remain silent. Why? The same reason Saul gave: "I feared the people." We fear being cancelled. We fear losing our platform. We fear being labelled politically incorrect. We fear the WhatsApp group backlash.

But here is the warfare reality: Every fear-based silence is a demonic victory. Every compromise born of public opinion is a breach in the wall. The enemy does not need to defeat you in a grand battle; he simply needs you to fear the wrong thing.

III. The Sword of Surrender

James 4:7 isn't a motivational meme; it's a war manual: "Submit yourselves, therefore, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Notice the sequence. Submission precedes resistance. You cannot resist the devil until you have first submitted to God. The one is the foundation of the other. Submission to God is, in itself, resistance to the devil.

Now watch this carefully: The devil does not fear your shouting he fears your submission. He does not tremble at your prayer conference he trembles at your surrendered will. Why? Because obedience is warfare disguised as worship.

Think of it this way: Every command you keep is a sword the enemy cannot counter, for hell has no defense against a surrendered will. Disobedience opens the gate; obedience seals the breach. What you refuse to yield, the enemy will occupy. What you surrender to God, the enemy cannot touch.

I learned this lesson in the most humiliating way possible. It was a scorching December afternoon in Akasia, 2019. The potholes on Rachel de Beer Street had swallowed two of my tyres that week, my youngest son's school fees were three months behind, and the car—that old Corolla that had carried more prayers than passengers had just died again.

I sat on my stoep, watching the Highveld thunderheads pile up like God's own judgment, and I prayed. Oh, how I prayed! I prayed with the desperation of a man whose back was against the wall. I quoted Psalm 35, rebuked every demon in Pretoria North, and commanded every financial curse to break by the blood of Jesus.

Nothing happened.

The next morning, my neighbour Mrs. Nkosi knocked on my gate. "Harold," she said, "the church down the street needs someone to clean the toilets. It pays five hundred rand a week."

I wanted to be offended. I am a man of God! I write! I preach! I had plans for my afternoon important plans involving a nap and perhaps some rugby on the television. But something in my spirit that still, small voice we hear only when our lungs are empty of complaint—whispered: Take the shovel. Take the shovel before you take the microphone.

I went. I scrubbed toilets. I swept floors. I emptied bins that had witnessed the aftermath of a youth service pizza party. And something broke. Not with a bang. Not with a prophecy. Not with a dramatic deliverance session. But with a quiet clicklike a lock finally turning after years of jiggling the wrong key.

The next week, an email arrived from a publisher in Cape Town. The month after that, I spoke at a conference in Durban. By the end of the year, I had spoken in places I never dreamed of entering. Not because I got delivered from a curse but because I got delivered into obedience.

A curse is not broken by your confession alone it is broken by your compliance.

IV. The Argument Formulated

Let me lay this out with logical precision, for reason itself is a gift from the Logos Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.

Premise 1: God has established moral and spiritual laws that govern human flourishing, as revealed in Scripture.

Premise 2: Disobedience to these laws produces predictable consequences spiritual, relational, and material which the Bible identifies as curses.

Premise 3: Conversely, obedience to these laws unlocks the blessings and protection that God has promised.

Premise 4: The demonic realm operates within the framework of these laws, exploiting disobedience as legal ground for oppression.

Conclusion: Therefore, obedience is not merely a religious duty; it is a strategic weapon that removes demonic legal rights and releases divine protection.

Now, a common objection: "Isn't this just works-based righteousness? Aren't we saved by grace, not by obedience?"

The Scripture answers: "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8). Yes, salvation is by grace alone. But grace is not a license to disobey; it is the empowerment to obey.

Consider this analogy: A father gives his son a car—a gift, freely given. But the father also gives him rules: Don't drink and drive. Obey the speed limit. Wear your seatbelt. Are these rules a denial of the gift? No! They are the protection of the gift. The son who disobeys the rules does not lose the car but he loses the protection the rules were designed to provide.

Likewise, obedience does not earn salvation—but it does secure the blessings and protection that salvation makes available.

V. Hell's Load-Shedding

Here is the irony: Satan fears consistency more than perfection.

I learned this during the 2021 riots, when looters raided the Mall of Africa. My cousin, a store manager, texted me: "They're taking everything. Why won't God stop this?" Yet, in Philippi, Paul sang in prison (Acts 16:25). Obedience during chaos isn't passivity it's defiance. My cousin safeguarded his staff, prayed aloud as smoke billowed, and discovered rioters retreating from his shop.

Coincidence? Or the "flight" James describes?

The demonic studies our patterns. Like Eskom saboteurs, they know exactly when we'll compromise. They know the hour we stop praying. They know the moment we entertain the thought. They know the circumstances that trigger our surrender to temptation.

Partial obedience, like a faulty inverter, fails when heat rises.

But full obedience? That is a substation that reroutes power to the powerless. That is a generator that runs not on diesel but on divine connection. That is the algorithm of Heaven—when you input Kingdom code, the output is "Your will be done" recalibrating a nation.

VI. The Jacaranda Gospel

Pretoria's jacarandas, imported yet iconic, preach a parable: Rootedness brings beauty. They thrive because they've adapted without compromising their design. Similarly, obedience roots us in Christ amid South Africa's storms. When students protest fee hikes or communities rally against gender violence, Kingdom obedience whispers: "Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly" (Micah 6:8).

But let me be clear: Obedience is not groveling submission to a celestial tyrant. It is the joyful alignment of your will with the will of the One who loves you perfectly. It is not the cowering of a slave but the trust of a child who knows the Father's heart is good.

The Scripture says: "If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land" (Isaiah 1:19). Notice the two conditions: willing and obedient. The will must be engaged. This is not robotic compliance; it is heart-felt surrender. And when both are present, the promise follows: you shall eat the good of the land.

What is "the good of the land" for South Africa? It is the peace that surpasses understanding in the midst of load-shedding. It is the provision that appears when the bank account is empty. It is the protection that surrounds when danger approaches. It is the purpose that animates when despair threatens.

VII. Fight Forward by Bowing Down

Here is the paradox that changes everything: You fight forward by bowing down.

The world says: Stand up for yourself. God says: Bow down to Me, and I will stand up for you.

The world says: Assert your rights. God says: Surrender your rights, and I will be your defender.

The world says: Resist your enemies. God says: Submit to Me, and I will make your enemies flee.

Obedience is not weakness bowing; it is warfare disguised as worship.

Every command you keep is a sword the enemy cannot counter, for hell has no defense against a surrendered will. Disobedience opens the gate; obedience seals the breach. The demon does not tremble at your shouting—it trembles at your submission. What you refuse to yield, the enemy will occupy. What you surrender to God, the enemy cannot touch.

Fight forward by bowing down.

VIII. A Call to Arms

So what does this mean for you, today, in Akasia, in Pretoria, in South Africa?

First, examine your obedience. Where have you been partial? Where have you kept the bleating sheep? Where have you feared people more than God? Where have you compromised because it was easier?

Second, repent of your disobedience. Not with a prayer with action. Go back to the place of compromise and make it right. Return the thing you stole. Apologize to the person you wronged. Stop the practice you knew was wrong.

Third, submit to God in the specific area He is highlighting. Maybe it's your finances. Maybe it's your relationships. Maybe it's your career. Maybe it's a calling you've been running from. Whatever it is, surrender it completely.

Fourth, resist the devil. Not with shouting with obedience. When you have submitted, the resistance is automatic. The devil will flee not because you yelled louder, but because you have removed his legal ground.

Fifth, persist in obedience. The enemy will test your resolve. He will send new temptations. He will raise new fears. He will try to wear you down with demonic fatigue—hoping you'll step off the forge just before the miracle takes shape. But perseverance crushes demonic fatigue. Keep obeying. Keep submitting. Keep resisting.

IX. Prayer as Disruption

Let us pray:

Father, in a land where darkness steals watts and hope, make my obedience a substation. Let my "yes" reroute power to the powerless. Expose the devil's illegal connections. I resist him not in my own strength, but in the authority of Your Son, Jesus Christ, who defeated every principality and power through His death and resurrection.

Lord, make my obedience my weapon. Where I submit, let hell retreat. Where I surrender, let heaven advance. Where I bow down, let the enemy flee.

I repent of my partial obedience. I repent of my fear of people. I repent of my compromised witness. Today, I choose the shovel before the microphone. I choose the servant's towel before the prophet's mantle. I choose the cross before the crown.

In the name of Jesus, the Obedient One, who learned obedience through suffering and was made perfect, I declare: The devil has no legal ground in my life. Every curse is broken. Every stronghold is demolished. Every chain is shattered.

Not by my shouting but by my submission. Not by my striving but by my surrender. Not by my fighting but by my bowing.

Amen.

X. The Final Word

Obedience is not the path to blessing—it is the blessing itself. For in obeying, you are united with Christ, who obeyed perfectly. In submitting, you are aligned with the Father, who loves completely. In surrendering, you are empowered by the Spirit, who strengthens mightily.

The enemy has no weapon against a surrendered will. Hell has no defense against a obedient heart. The demonic has no answer to a life that says, "Not my will, but Yours be done."

So fight forward by bowing down. Advance by kneeling. Conquer by surrendering.

For the battle is the Lord's—and He has already won.

"Submit yourselves, therefore, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Go in peace. Fight in faith. Bow in victory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...

Faithful in the Forgotten

  The Unseen Altar: Where God Forges Spiritual Depth in an Age of Instant Glory The Night the Lights Went Out The familiar, dreaded silence fell first. The hum of the refrigerator ceased mid-cycle. The bright screen of my phone, filled with the curated highlights of a dozen ministries, went black. Load-shedding had come to Akasia again. In the sudden, thick darkness, I fumbled for a candle. As the small flame took hold, it didn't just illuminate the room; it illuminated a truth. We spend so much energy trying to stay visible in the grid, terrified of the dark, when God so often uses the dark to show us the only light that truly matters. This is the tension we modern South Africans, and indeed all modern believers, must navigate. We live in a world that screams, "Your value is your visibility!" Social media metrics, church attendance numbers, and public influence are the new currencies of success. Yet, into this noise, the quiet, unwavering voice of Scripture speaks a coun...