Skip to main content

The Ignition of Authority


The Ignition of Authority

By Harold Mawela | Akasia, Pretoria

1. Honest Diagnosis: The Slumber of the Sceptered

I am writing to you from my study in Akasia, just north of Pretoria. The winter chill has settled over the Highveld, but the lights are on Eskom has given us 406 consecutive days without load shedding. A miracle, some call it. A reprieve, others whisper. But as I sit here, I cannot shake the deeper darkness that no megawatt can cure.

Last week, I walked through the streets of Soshanguve. Young men stood on corners, their eyes hollow, their hands empty. The statistics tell me that 47.4% of South Africa's youth are unemployed 4.7 million young people with dreams deferred and destinies detained. Meanwhile, the news cycles churn: 5,181 murders in the first quarter of 2026 alone, 58 killings a day, extortion rings strangling the Cape Flats, and a nation wrestling with itself over immigration and identity.

And in the midst of this, the Church? We sing. We shout. We wave our hands. But too often, we wave them in surrender rather than authority.

I remember a Sunday morning not long ago. A woman approached me after the service—tears carving rivers through her foundation. "Pastor Harold," she said, "I have prayed. I have fasted. I have declared. But the darkness in my home will not budge. What am I doing wrong?"

I looked at her a believer, blood-bought, Spirit-sealed and I saw the tragedy of the age. She had authority. She just had not ignited it.

Authority not activated is authority denied. A king asleep on his throne still starves in a famine of his own making.

2. Careful Investigation: What Authority Actually Is

Let us define our terms with precision, for confusion here is costly.

Authority (exousia in the Greek) is not mere power (dunamis). Power is raw energy—electricity in the wire. Authority is the right to flip the switch. Power can be stolen, borrowed, or brute-forced. Authority must be delegated. It is legal, positional, and relational.

Christ said, "Behold, I give you authority... over all the power of the enemy" (Luke 10:19). Notice the architecture of that sentence. He does not say, "I give you power" though He does. He says, "I give you authority." He transfers His legal right. He hands over the scepter. He deposits the keys.

But here is the question that haunts my study at 3 a.m.: If the authority is already given, why is the enemy still winning?

The answer is devastatingly simple: Ignition requires activation.

Consider the South African power grid. For years, we lived under load shedding darkness scheduled and predictable. The electricity existed. The infrastructure existed. But the authority to distribute it was compromised. Generators hummed. Inverters beeped. And we adapted to the dark.

Then something shifted. Maintenance happened. Repairs were made. The authority to keep the lights on was activated. And suddenly, we remembered what it felt like to live without interruption.

Child of God, your authority is like that grid. Calvary installed the infrastructure. The resurrection completed the connection. The Holy Spirit is the current. But if you never flip the switch if you never speak, never stand, never step the lights remain off in your life, and the enemy keeps his party going in your home.

The keys rust in the pocket of the believer who never tries the door.

3. Transformative Insight: The Threefold Ignition

Through prayer, through Scripture, through the painful school of experience, I have come to understand that authority is ignited in three distinct movements.

First: The Ignition of Declaration

Your voice was never meant to beg the darkness it was built to command it.

When Christ spoke, demons fled. When Christ spoke, storms subsided. When Christ spoke, death released its grip. And here is the staggering truth: He gave you the same authority to speak.

But we have become a generation of whisperers. We pray like beggars when we should decree like kings. We ask permission from the very forces we have been commissioned to subdue.

The argument can be formulated thus:

· Premise 1: Christ has given believers authority over all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:19).

· Premise 2: Authority is exercised through spoken declaration rooted in faith.

· Premise 3: Therefore, a believer who does not speak in authority is functionally surrendering territory to the enemy.

A common objection is: "But Pastor, isn't it prideful to speak with such confidence? Shouldn't we be humble?"

This fails because it confuses humility with passivity. Humility is not refusing to use what God has given that is stewardship failure. Humility is remembering who gave it and why. Jesus Himself said, "All authority has been given to Me... go therefore" (Matthew 28:18-19). He spoke with absolute authority because He had absolute authority. And He gave it to you.

You will never possess what you are unwilling to pursue.

Second: The Ignition of Position

Authority is not just something you say it is something you stand in.

I think of the amaBhungane those who stand watch in the villages. They do not run at the first sign of threat. They stand. They hold ground. They refuse to retreat.

South Africa has seen villagers build their own bridges to reach clinics. They did not wait for permission. They saw need, they saw provision, and they acted. That is authority in the natural realm. How much more in the spiritual?

Positional authority means you do not fight for victory you fight from victory. The battle is not to gain ground the ground was already won at Calvary. The battle is to occupy what has already been deeded to you.

Imagine, if you will, a man who inherits a farm. The title deed is in his name. The land is legally his. But he never walks the perimeter. He never plants the seed. He never defends the borders. And when squatters move in, he wrings his hands and says, "Why is this happening to me?"

The squatters are not the problem. The failure to occupy is the problem.

Attack is the proof that your enemy anticipates your success. If the devil is fighting you, it is because he knows you have something worth taking. The believer under attack is not a believer abandoned it is a believer acknowledged.

Third: The Ignition of Action

Faith without works is dead, James tells us. And authority without action is useless.

The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name!" (Luke 10:17). Notice: they did not receive authority and then sit in a prayer meeting waiting for demons to spontaneously combust. They went. They spoke. They acted. And the authority worked.

What you do daily determines what you become permanently.

In our South African context, this is urgent. We have a generation of young people 4.7 million of them waiting for someone to give them permission to rise. But permission has already been given. What is needed is activation.

I meet young believers in Mamelodi, in Atteridgeville, in Diepsloot. They have fire in their eyes but fear in their hearts. They sing worship with passion but live with passivity. They are waiting for a move of God while God is waiting for a move from them.

God loves you because of who you are, but He blesses you because of what you do.

4. Practical Embodiment: How to Ignite Today

Let me give you three practical steps tested in the fires of my own life, proven in the crucible of ministry.

Step One: Speak the Unseen

Every morning, before my feet touch the floor of my study in Akasia, I speak. I declare. I decree. Not because I am trying to convince God He already knows. But because I am trying to convince me, and the forces that watch me.

I say: "I have authority over the power of the enemy. No weapon formed against me shall prosper. The darkness that troubled my family yesterday has no jurisdiction today. I am seated with Christ in heavenly places. I reign because He reigns."

Is it loud? Sometimes. Is it necessary? Always.

What you repeat, you become. What you neglect, you forfeit.

Step Two: Stand the Ground

When the enemy attacks and he will, because you are now a threat do not retreat. Do not negotiate. Do not compromise.

In Cape Town, residents are fighting back against extortionists. They are refusing to pay. They are standing together. They are saying, "Enough." That is natural authority in action. How much more should we stand in spiritual authority?

The Scripture declares unequivocally: "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" (James 4:7). Not "resist and he might flee." Not "resist and he will consider fleeing." He will flee. That is a promise. That is a legal guarantee. But it is conditional on resistance.

You will never be free from what you refuse to fight.

Step Three: Act the Authority

Do not just believe you have authority—behave as though you have it.

Walk into your workplace knowing that the atmosphere shifts when you enter. Walk into your home knowing that darkness cannot remain where light is activated. Walk into your community knowing that you carry the solution to problems that have baffled the wise.

The young people of South Africa the 10.6 million outside the labour force are not just statistics. They are potential. They are purpose. They are power waiting for ignition. And you, believer, have the authority to speak life into them, to mentor them, to disciple them, to activate them.

Each relationship nurtures a strength or weakness within you. Choose to nurture strength.

5. Compelling Closing: The King Is Not Sleeping

I close with this: Christ did not whisper you a suggestion He deposited a scepter.

The King is not sleeping on His throne. He is seated at the right hand of the Father, and He has seated you with Him. The authority is real. The power is available. The enemy is defeated. The only question that remains is: Will you ignite what has already been given?

South Africa needs awakened believers. Not religious performers. Not spiritual tourists. Not passive pew-sitters. We need kings and priests who know their authority, speak their authority, and act their authority.

The lights are on in the nation Eskom has given us 406 days of power. But the true power the authority that makes demons tremble and darkness retreat has been available for 2,000 years.

It is time to flip the switch.

Your destiny is decoded in your daily habits. What you repeat, you become. What you neglect, you forfeit.

Pray with me:

Lord Jesus, ignite what You have already given. I rise and reign in Your name. I speak to the darkness in my home, in my city, in my nation—and I command it to flee. I stand on the authority purchased at Calvary and sealed at the empty tomb. I step into the dominion already deeded to me. No more slumber. No more surrender. I am Yours, and I am activated. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, my King and my Commander. Amen.

Go. Speak. Stand. Step.

The scepter is in your hand. The enemy is under your feet. And the King is on His throne.

Harold Mawela

Akasia, Pretoria

August 2026

"Behold, I give you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." — Luke 10:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace in Mystery

The Pressure of Knowing: When the Finite Mind Meets the Infinite God My friends, from my home in Akasia, north of Pretoria, I see the night sky—a tapestry of stars flung across the void, a silent proclamation of a majesty that defies our comprehension. My mind, this small vessel of thoughts and fears, tries to grasp it. It tries to grasp everything. The rising price of maize meal. The scan of a medical report. The silent dread when a child is late coming home. We live in an age that worships at the altar of knowledge. We carry supercomputers in our pockets that promise every answer, yet our national soul feels more fractured, more anxious, than ever. We are a generation under immense pressure to figure it all out—the economy, the future, the purpose, the pain. We believe if we can just understand the “why,” we can control the outcome. We believe our peace is on the other side of comprehension. But I tell you today: this pressure is a burden God never asked you to carry. The ant underst...

The Law of the Open Hand

The Law of the Open Hand: From Scarcity to Divine Supply in a Clenched-Fist World By Harold Mawela From my study in Akasia, Pretoria, I look out at a nation holding its breath. We live in the perpetual tension between promise and provision, between what is pledged from podiums and what is present in our pantries. The headlines scream of crises competing for our fragmented attention, while our hearts whisper the ancient, agonizing question: “Will there be enough?” In this climate, a primal instinct takes hold: the clench. We clench our fists around our finances, our futures, our fragile sense of security. Yet, I come to you today with a counter-intuitive, kingdom truth, a law as immutable as gravity but activated by faith: The Law of the Open Hand. The Parable of the Tightened Fist: A Story from Soshanguve Let me tell you a story. Not from a dusty theological text, but from the sun-baked streets of Soshanguve. I visited a community kitchen run by a widow, Gogo Mthembu. Her pension was a...

Faithful in the Forgotten

  The Unseen Altar: Where God Forges Spiritual Depth in an Age of Instant Glory The Night the Lights Went Out The familiar, dreaded silence fell first. The hum of the refrigerator ceased mid-cycle. The bright screen of my phone, filled with the curated highlights of a dozen ministries, went black. Load-shedding had come to Akasia again. In the sudden, thick darkness, I fumbled for a candle. As the small flame took hold, it didn't just illuminate the room; it illuminated a truth. We spend so much energy trying to stay visible in the grid, terrified of the dark, when God so often uses the dark to show us the only light that truly matters. This is the tension we modern South Africans, and indeed all modern believers, must navigate. We live in a world that screams, "Your value is your visibility!" Social media metrics, church attendance numbers, and public influence are the new currencies of success. Yet, into this noise, the quiet, unwavering voice of Scripture speaks a coun...